PATH is a global nonprofit dedicated to achieving health equity. With more than 40 years of experience forging multisector partnerships, and with expertise in science, economics, technology, advocacy, and dozens of other specialties, PATH develops and scales up innovative solutions to the world’s most pressing health challenges.
PATH works with national malaria control programs in Africa to scale up interventions to reduce the burden of malaria, as well as to generate evidence and support planning for new strategies to accelerate elimination. The focus is on improving the collection, reporting and use of malaria surveillance data to enable rapid, accurate and rational decision-making to maximize the impact of interventions.
As part of its Malaria Control and Elimination Partnership in Africa (MACEPA), PATH supports the DRC National Malaria Control Program (NMCP) at both the national and provincial levels (Haut-Katanga as a pilot province), particularly to increase the availability and use of high-quality data to determine the targeting and combination of interventions in priority geographic areas.
As part of its support to the Ministry of Public Health, Hygiene and Prevention through its growing malaria portfolio in DRC, PATH is currently recruiting a Technical Program Officer who will be based at the PATH/IHAP office in Lubumbashi to provide technical assistance to the NMCP in surveillance, monitoring, and evaluation.
Under the technical supervision of the PATH Technical Program Manager in Kinshasa and the joint strategic coordination of the PATH Malaria Program Lead based in Kinshasa and the PATH/IHAP Chief of Party based in Lubumbashi, the successful candidate will contribute to the PATH team in the implementation of PATH’s malaria control projects and support PATH’s malaria control efforts within the NMCP in Haut-Katanga. In particular, he will support the strengthening of the malaria surveillance and M&EAL system, including cross-border entomological surveillance, case management and community-based malaria surveillance, implementation of digital tools and other innovations for malaria management and surveillance, operational research, documentation of success stories, etc.
Under the supervision of the Malaria Technical Program Manager, the Technical Program Officer will perform the following duties:
- Represent the PATH-DRC malaria program in technical and strategic malaria control meetings or workshops in Upper Haut-Katanga under the coordination of the IHAP UCC and the Malaria MPT.
- Plan and coordinate capacity building initiatives of the Upper Katanga NMCPs under MACEPA 4 DRC or other PATH funded projects.
- Support the M&E Officer in the technical needs assessment of stakeholders in surveillance, monitoring and evaluation of the Upper Katanga NMCP to identify technical areas requiring technical assistance from PATH or other partners to achieve malaria control and elimination goals.
- Participate and provide technical inputs to NMCP thematic group meetings related to epidemiological surveillance, monitoring and evaluation, case management and specific interventions (SMS, CCM, cross border entomological surveillance) in collaboration with NMCP partners.
- Support jointly with the M&E Officer the interventions to strengthen malaria management at the community level, needs assessment, training/briefing on updated guidelines and tools, documentation…
- Support the efforts of the NMCP and DPS Haut-Katanga to strengthen the malaria surveillance system in the DRC, including the digitalization of the malaria surveillance system from the community level.
- Participate in the coordination frameworks of the malaria control around the Haut-Katanga NMCP.
- Contribute to the follow-up and implementation of actions and recommendations from the Malaria Task Force meetings at the NMCP level under the leadership of the Provincial Ministry of Health of Haut-Katanga.
- Provide technical input to the drafting of tactical planning documents in support of the NMCP provincial team (NMCP operational action ..) as well as NMCP reports (quarterly, half-yearly, annual reports, epidemiological bulletins, etc.) according to the needs expressed by the NMCP provincial coordinating doctor.
- Support the M&E Officer to provide technical support, with other NMCP partners, to data validation meetings at both provincial and zonal levels and to the epidemic investigation and response team.
- Support the Haut-Katanga NMCP in its efforts to strengthen the planning and implementation of specific interventions, including intermittent presumptive treatment with sulfadoxine-pyrimethamine for pregnant women, chemoprevention of seasonal malaria, cross-border entomological surveillance interventions, etc.
- Support the process of transfer of responsibility and ownership of the malaria dashboard by the NMCP, leading and optimizing efforts to digitize provincial NMCP tools according to programme needs and partner engagement.
- Collaborate with the NMCP in all others operational aspects related to the malaria program’s implementation.
- Document quarterly all successes and lessons learned in collaboration with PNLP Haut-Katanga in terms of success stories and summaries.
- Submit a monthly and quarterly report according to the project template.
- Contribute to PATH-DRC Malaria Team specific technical documentation, such as concept notes, operational research tools, proposals, etc.