The education technical manager/director will provide leadership in data and statistical analysis for MSI’s portfolio of education projects and will support management and business development for the education practice area. S/he will supervise data-related activities across projects and collaborate with team members and consultants in the areas of assessment, evaluation, and research. Technical responsibilities will include overseeing/collaborating on tools development and data collection, overseeing/conducting data cleaning and statistical analysis, and producing/collaborating on technical reports. Management responsibilities will include organizing work assignments, ensuring quality control, communicating with partner organizations, and responding to client needs. Business development responsibilities will include participating in bid/no-bid decisions, contributing to technical proposals, and supporting the recruitment of staff and consultants.
The education technical manager/director will be based in MSI’s Arlington, Virginia headquarters and will work together with staff in the U.S. and in overseas offices. S/he will report to the MSI education practice area lead and/or education technical director. Current education projects are in DRC, Jordan, Kenya, Lebanon, Mali, Morocco, Namibia, Pakistan, Senegal, South Sudan, Thailand, and Washington, DC. Clients include USAID, DFID, UNICEF, UIS, World Bank, and private foundations.
- Direct and coordinate data-related aspects of education projects, including data management and statistical analysis.
- Lead and/or contribute to research designs, tools development, sampling, data collection, and psychometric analysis.
- Support the improvement and implementation of electronic applications to collect assessment and evaluation data.
- Import data collected in the field from cloud servers into statistical software and organize the production of clean data files.
- Create data tables and collaborate on the preparation of technical reports, presentations, and dissemination materials.
- Collaborate with colleagues to meet timelines and submit deliverables to clients as specified in work plans and contracts.
- Lead the improvement and standardization of data processing and quality control procedures for the education practice area.
- Liaise with donors and implementing partners, as required, on data management, analysis, and reporting activities.
- Collaborate with the education team on developing and implementing strategic plans for practice area growth.
- Participate in reviews of new business opportunities and serve as a co-writer/reviewer on technical proposals.
- Provide technical supervision in data management and statistical analysis activities of education team members and consultants.
- Minimum of a master’s degree in education, statistics, psychology, or a related area; doctorate preferred.
- Minimum of 15 years of progressive work experience in national and/or international education settings.
- Expertise in educational assessment, evaluation, and/or research; evidence of professional recognition preferred.
- Substantial background in developing education study designs, methodologies, and analysis frameworks.
- Experience in managing technical aspects of projects, from work planning to implementation and reporting.
- Use of statistical software such as Stata, SAS, and/or SPSS to manage, process, and analyze education data.
- Familiarity with psychometric software such as FastTest, Iteman, and/or Winsteps for item banking and test analysis.
- Ability to work with teams of technical directors, managers, and associates, along with project managers and consultants.
- Proven success with donor agencies and governments in meeting targets and fulfilling contractual requirements.
- Excellent writing, analytical, speaking, and communication ability in English; skills in other languages preferred.