PATH is a global organization that works to accelerate health equity by bringing together public institutions, businesses, social enterprises, and investors to solve the world’s most pressing health challenges. With expertise in science, health, economics, technology, advocacy, and dozens of other specialties, PATH develops and scales solutions—including vaccines, drugs, devices, diagnostics, and innovative approaches to strengthening health systems worldwide.
PATH is leading a consortium of partners in the implementation of the recently awarded USAID End Malaria Program (EMP). This is a 5-year Cooperative Agreement. In partnership with Jhpiego and the Zambia Centre for Communication Programs (ZCCP), guided by the National Malaria Elimination Strategic Plan and in collaboration with the End Malaria Council (EMC), the End Malaria Program (EMP) will build on the PATH learning and momentum achieved as the lead for PMI’s Program for Advancement of Malaria Outcomes (PAMO). In line with PMI’s strategy, the EMP will assist the GRZ to accelerate progress toward its goal of eliminating local malaria infection and disease in Zambia by achieving high levels of effective coverage with high-quality malaria control interventions, leading to major reductions in malaria prevalence, incidence, severe disease, and death in four focal high-burden provinces: Luapula, Northern, Muchinga, and Eastern.
PATH seeks to recruit a Technical Director who will be responsible for supporting the Chief of Party (COP) with the technical leadership of the project. The Technical Director will report directly to the Chief of Party (COP) and will take a leadership role in ensuring quality technical implementation and ensure the activity meets stated goals and reporting requirements. S/he will coordinate among USAID/PMI and key stakeholders and other implementing partners and will interact with numerous Government of Zambia institutions and representatives on technical issues of the project.
- Provide overall technical backstop for the project
- Function as primary technical liaison for subcontractor support
- Provide technical support to the MOH through NMEP on malaria program implementation and actively participate in malaria-related technical working groups.
- Maintain current technical knowledge on malaria, associated data, and other related public health topics to enable the provision of best practices to inform malaria strategy development.
- Focusing at provincial and district levels, establish and maintain close working relationships with relevant offices of the Government of Zambia and other organizations, the US Government, other donor agencies, and nongovernmental local working in Zambia. With an emphasis on provincial and other peripheral levels.
- Work with other relevant departments within the MOH to facilitate the integration of malaria control activities into the broader primary health care systems.
- Supervise PATH technical consultants and oversee their input to program activities
- Work with the MOH to actively use data for decision-making and to identify how malaria control activities and the impact can be sustained over time.
- Assist the Deputy Chief of Party in developing annual work plans, budgets, and performance reports.
- Take on duties as may be assigned by the Chief of Party and other senior partners.