Team Leader – Shelter and Infrastructure
The Danish Refugee Council assists refugees and internally displaced persons across the globe: we provide emergency aid, fight for their rights, and strengthen their opportunity for a brighter future. We work in conflict-affected areas, along the displacement routes, and in the countries where refugees settle. In cooperation with local communities, we strive for responsible and sustainable solutions. We work toward successful integration and – whenever possible – for the fulfilment of the wish to return home.
The Danish Refugee Council was founded in Denmark in 1956, and has since grown to become an international humanitarian organization with more than 7,000 staff and 8,000 volunteers. Our vision is a dignified life for all displaced.
All of our efforts are based on our value compass: humanity, respect, independence and neutrality, participation, and honesty and transparency.
DRC has been operating in the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) region for over a decade, running a combination of emergency, livelihood, protection and advocacy programmes through Country Offices (COs) in Algeria, Libya/Tunisia, Syria, Iraq, Jordan, Lebanon and Turkey with a Regional Office (RO) in Amman. DRC has 17 offices and approximately one thousand staff members across the MENA region. Following an internal HQ restructuring, from 1st January 2018 the region is focusing on the Middle East, hence Algeria, Tunisia and Libya will transition to a new region during the course of 2018, while Yemen will join the Middle East region.
About the job
• Supervise members in team (Officers, Assistants, daily labors);
• Deliver technical support and guidance to team (shelter and cash for shelter – possible future WASH interventions);
• Ensure the quality of the planning, implementation and follow up of all technical aspects of the sector activities being implemented by DRC;
• Develop and maintain good relations with the persons of concern, relevant stakeholders and other humanitarian actors, to support adequate implementation and coordination of DRC’s sector activities.
Sector responsibilities: Provision of emergency shelter, cash for shelter, rehabilitation of housing, provision of physical infrastructure like roads, bridges, community infrastructures (health center/school), irrigation systems or other community structures, water treatment plant construction/rehabilitation/expansion, water network construction, community water tanks, facilitation and training of infrastructure management groups at community level, facilitation and funding of community development plans, initiatives for disaster risk reduction at community level. Your main duties and responsibilities will be:
• Lead and manage the Shelter team (including people planning, performance, well-being and development) – and WASH team, if WASH activities will be implemented in the future
• Ensure effective planning and quality implementation of the sector/support activities
• Ensure daily monitoring of area
• Assess the daily quality of the implementation
• Provide technical support and inputs
• Supervise contractors during construction work
• Capacity building of the team for technical cash for shelter intervention and community outreach
Programming & Operations
• Ensure efficient and effective program implementation while following the budget and work plan
• Participate in preparing monthly/quarterly/annual highlights/reports and proposals and budgets for donors
• Lead the team in carrying out monitoring and evaluation exercises
• Update Monthly Project Management tool and monthly work plan.
Coordination and representation
• Collaborate with relevant internal and external technical experts on sector relevant issues
• Represent DRC at meetings and other relevant technical coordination meetings
• Ensure and facilitate integration with other DRC sectors
• Develop project plans and budgets for funding
• Develop/adapt projects tools
• Project implementation and reporting
• Monitor and evaluate projects
• Support the monitoring of financial commitments and expenditures against budgets and provide timely feedback on budget follow-up
• Plan and coordinate proactively logistics and movements of staff from and to different operational areas
• Initiate procurements and ensure their execution
• Ensure distribution plans are prepared and shared with logistics in a timely manner
As Team Leader the post-holder is responsible for the following:
• Accountable for people management of employees, usually working in the same area of work
• Accountable for ensuring that agreed work plans and tasks set by the next-level up Manager are implemented on time
• Initiating the hiring and contract ending of employees and conducting performance appraisals are permitted at this level, but are closely overseen by the next-level manager.
To be successful in this role we expect the following:
• Minimum 2 years of management experience at a mid to senior level, preferably with experience in the field of humanitarian response and refugee protection working for an international NGO, UN agency, relevant ministry, or local authority.
• Preferable previous work experience with shelter and cash for shelter programs
• Minimum 3 years of practical experience in sector area working for an INGO
• Proven technical management skills
• Commitment to learning and implementing organizational policies and procedures.
• Excellent skill in MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint and AUTOCAD
• Full professional proficiency in English
• Field experience
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with DRC’s vision and values.
Contract length: 9 Months
Start date: 1 December 2019
Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for Expatriates/ Nationals; please refer to drc.ngo under Vacancies
Interested? Then apply for this position by clicking on the apply button.
All applicants must upload a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English. Applications sent by email will not be considered.
Closing date for applications: 23 October 2019
Please note: that given the urgency of vacancy the position may be filled before the due date.
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please visit drc.ngo/jobsupport.
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website drc.ngo.