Team Leader, Gender Analysis of MSP/KP, Performance
Management Support Contract (PERFORM), Pakistan
In May 2015, the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) awarded a five-year contract to Management Systems International (MSI) to provide performance management support to USAID-sponsored development programs throughout Pakistan. The Performance Management Support Contract (PERFORM) serves as a centralized management support mechanism that provides services in (1) monitoring, (2) evaluation, (3) assessment, and (4) learning support. PERFORM provides data and information to help USAID/Pakistan project managers improve results through better implementation, design, and learning, enabling it to better target its programming and achieve its goals and objectives.
MSI is seeking a qualified Team Leader for a gender analysis of the USAID-funded Municipal Services Program in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (MSP/KP). The program supports the government of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa to address issues related to drinking water supply, sanitation, and solid waste management infrastructure and governance. The program encourages citizens, especially women, to engage in community level decision-making about drinking water, sanitation, and solid waste management. The analysis will identify obstacles to gender equality in program implementation and provide recommendations on how to overcome these obstacles. The analysis will be used to guide program managers on how, if at all, the project design could be adjusted and enhanced to assure a more equitable and sustainable impact for both men and women.
This assignment will run for approximately 12 weeks from December 2016 to February 2017, including fieldwork and data analysis in Pakistan. The anticipated level of effort for the Team Leader is 72 days.
- Review all relevant program documents required to understand the assignment and USAID/Pakistan’s current implementation of ADS 205 and record findings in a structured document review matrix.
- In collaboration with MSI staff and team members, the Team Leader will take the lead in:
- Designing the analysis approach.
- Developing data collection instruments, a data collection plan, and a data analysis plan.
- Guiding the fieldwork, including conducting interviews and taking notes.
- Leading the qualitative and quantitative data analysis.
- Presenting results to USAID and implementing partners.
- Writing the report and other briefing papers.
- The Team Leader is responsible for all deliverables including the final report.
- Undertake other tasks required for the successful completion of the assignment.
- Master’s degree or equivalent in development studies or other relevant discipline, with strong technical emphasis or specialization in gender or inclusive development preferred.
- At least ten (10) years of experience working as a gender advisor, consultant, or evaluator addressing gender considerations in development projects, including significant experience working in the water and sanitation sphere.
- Strong social science research skills.
- Firm understanding of USAID ADS 205 on gender integration and ADS requirements for gender analyses.
- Knowledge of gender-focused and inclusive practices and programming in an international development context.
- Experience in designing protocols for and conducting key informant interviews, group interviews, and focus group discussions.
- Able to work with and motivate team members to contribute their expertise to the assignment, share equitably in completing the work, and deliver high quality products on time.
- Able to collect, manage, synthesize, and rigorously analyze large amounts of qualitative data to draw out key findings and conclusions and develop draft recommendations.
- Strong English verbal and written communication skills.
- Experience working in Pakistan preferred but not necessary.