The Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is a state owned organisation. We work worldwide in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development. GIZ International Services (InS) is an integral division of GIZ. We offer the experience, the regional and technical know-how of GIZ in the global market and provide international clients with expertise in terms of economic and result-oriented services.
The overall objective of the action is to improve efficiency, effectiveness and quality of health service delivery in Libya.
The purpose of this action is to strengthen strategic planning, financing as well as management and quality of health service delivery through targeted reforms and pilot interventions.
The action is articulated around three result areas:
Result One Strategic Planning, Health Financing and Capacity Strengthened: National health strategy, related policies and action plans developed; health financing options identified; provider payment mechanisms reviewed; and capacity of the Ministry of Health and Health Professionals Associations strengthened at all levels.
Result Two Health Service Delivery and Quality of Health Care: Health Service Package successfully rolled out in pilot areas; options for public private partnerships identified; quality of outcomes framework and accreditation standards developed and selected quality improvements reported.
Result Three Workforce Planning, Development and Management: Recruitment and retention targets in place; pre-service and in-service training needs assessed and partially addressed through targeted training and partnerships with training institutions; curricula upgraded and standardised; licensing standards and management tools developed and rolled out in pilot areas.
The Team Leader will coordinate and ensure coherence across all EU-LHSS inputs including those of relevant Key Experts and Non Key Experts, technical working groups and task forces.
Qualifications and skills
- Advanced clinical degree and/or advanced degree in Health Care Management (HCM), Business Administration (MBA), Public Health (MPH) or other related field;
- Skilled at identifying new opportunities for content and/or pilot development, including opportunities to align with the objectives of health sector reform;
- In-depth understanding and problem-solving approach to health service delivery as it relates to complex, multifunctional factors;
- Appreciation for systems-level thinking and ability to influence change within systems;
- Ability to manage a diverse team effectively, balance the interests of different stakeholders and provide excellent leadership by maintaining a constructive work environment;
- Skilled at building and maintaining relationships at all levels and across institutions, constituencies and stakeholders;
- Ability to work independently, determine priorities, manage multiple tasks, and meet timelines while collaborating with a broad coalition of health partners; and
- Strong results and impact orientation;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English.
- Knowledge of the Libyan health care landscape at national and local level;
- Working knowledge of Arabic.
General professional experience
- A minimum of 10 years progressively responsible professional work experience in health care management leading large-scale government and/or development partner-supported health service delivery programmes;
- Strong strategic thinker with deep knowledge of systemic issues, excellent leadership, management, and problem-solving skills.
Specific professional experience
- Demonstrated experience in health programme planning and management with good exposure to district planning and decentralised models of service delivery;
- Knowledge of and experience with health service delivery reforms;
- Experience with action and operational research models;
- Demonstrated entrepreneurial success in programme development with a diverse range of point-of-service interventions;
- Demonstrated experience measuring and evaluating health system strengthening interventions at project and country level;
- Demonstrated M&E experience including data analysis skills, preferably in STATA or SPSS;
- Familiarity with log-frames and performance monitoring plans and demonstrated expertise in both quantitative and qualitative research methods.
- Work experience in a programme delivery/advisory/management capacity designing and implementing public private partnerships for health with a pro-poor orientation;
- Well-versed with approaches and programmes on social marketing, social franchising, private sector engagement, and Public Private Partnerships (PPPs) for health;
- First-hand knowledge of key actors in health market systems and on how they can be leveraged;
- Solid understanding of the functioning of private service delivery and markets, the private sector’s role in the health sector and regulatory policies;
- Thorough understanding of the critical factors and reforms that can provide an enabling environment for private service delivery and of how government and the private sector can improve the effectiveness and efficiency of factor, product and service markets without creating negative incentive structures;
- Skilled at fostering public/private dialogue;
- Ability to draw on international best practices.