Country Development Cooperation Strategy (CDCS) Gender Analysis,
Performance Management Support Contract (PERFORM), Pakistan
In May 2015, the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) awarded a five-year contract to Management Systems International (MSI) to provide performance management support to USAID-sponsored development programs throughout Pakistan. The Performance Management Support Contract (PERFORM) serves as a centralized management support mechanism that provides services in (1) monitoring, (2) evaluation, (3) assessment, and (4) learning support. PERFORM provides data and information to help USAID/Pakistan project managers improve results through better implementation, design, and learning, enabling it to better target its programming and achieve its goals and objectives .
MSI is seeking an expat Team Leader for a gender analysis. In 2012 and 2013 USAID released its policy on gender equality and female empowerment along with directives on gender integration to ensure that USAID’s core development programming would reduce gender inequality and gender-based violence, and enable women and girls to realize their rights, determine their life outcomes, and influence decision-making at all levels.
USAID is in the process of developing its first country wide strategic plan—the Country Development Cooperation Strategy (CDCS). To inform that process, USAID has requested PERFORM to conduct a gender analysis to guide the mission in promoting gender equality, female empowerment, and inclusion in USAID programming at all levels of project cycle. The analysis will identify the macro level gender inequalities in the country in a broad range of areas including, but not limited to, laws policies, regulations, and institutional practices, cultural norms and beliefs, access to and control over resources, and patterns of power, and decision making.
The assignment will last for approximately 13 weeks between February and May 2017, and will include designing the data analysis approach/plan, conducting a desk review, field work (across Pakistan), analyzing data, and writing the report.
- Conducting an extensive desk review of all relevant USAID program documents, existing studies, reports, surveys, or other data required to conduct a gender analysis and record findings from the document review in a structured document review matrix.
- In collaboration with MSI staff and team members, the Team Leader will take the lead in:
- Designing the analysis approach.
- Developing data collection instruments, a data collection plan, and a data analysis plan.
- Guiding the fieldwork, including conducting interviews, group discussions, and taking notes.
- Leading the qualitative and quantitative data analysis.
- Presenting results to USAID and implementing partners.
- Writing the report and other briefing papers.
- The Team Leader is responsible for all deliverables including the final report.
- Undertake other tasks required for the successful completion of the assignment.
- Master’s degree or equivalent in development studies or other relevant discipline, with strong technical emphasis or specialization in gender or inclusive development preferred.
- At least ten (10) years’ work experience working as a gender advisor, consultant, or evaluating and addressing gender considerations in development projects, including significant experience working with international organizations, implementing partners, and/or civil society organizations; experience with USAID preferred.
- Strong social science research skills.
- Firm understanding of USAID ADS 205 on gender integration and ADS requirements for gender analyses. Experience with USAID strategic planning around gender issues and the CDCS process is a plus.
- Knowledge of gender-focused and inclusive practices and programming in an international development context.
- Experience in designing protocols for and conducting key informant interviews, group interviews, and focus group discussions.
- Able to work with and motivate team members to contribute their expertise to the assignment, share equitably in completing the work, and deliver high quality products on time.
- Able to collect, manage, synthesize, and rigorously analyze large amounts of qualitative data to draw out key findings and conclusions and develop draft recommendations.
- Strong English verbal and written communication skills.
- Experience working in Pakistan is preferred but not necessary.