Deadline to apply: July 23, 2020
Estimated LOE: 10-15 days
Estimated POP: August 1 – September 30, 2020
Call for TB Study Enumerators
Study on TB Private Sector Engagement / Hanoi, Vietnam
Social Impact (SI) is a global development management consulting firm which provides monitoring, evaluation, strategic planning, and capacity building services to advance development effectiveness. In Vietnam, SI is implementing the USAID/Vietnam Learns program to support USAID staff and partners to implement more efficient, effective, and transparent programs. SI is seeking three qualified consultants (with a different regional focus on the Northern, Central and Southern regions of Vietnam) to lead a new research assignment in support the Government of Vietnam’s National Tuberculosis Control Program to better ascertain the role and potential of private sector service provider in helping to treat tuberculosis.
** Note: Candidates are required to be Vietnamese citizens residing in Vietnam **
The National Tuberculosis Control Programme (NTP) was established in 1986. The NTP is the primary entity, leading Vietnam in its planning to end TB by 2030. The private sector in Vietnam plays a clear role in the three key areas of TB care: diagnosis, referral, and treatment. However, there is no clear national understanding of the role the private sector plays in any of these areas, or its effectiveness.
The purpose of this study is to gain a better understanding of the scope and quality of private sector engagement in TB in the three areas previous mentioned. The assumption is that answering the questions outlined below will allow international partners with information they need to build off of private sector involvement and reallocate resources in a way that meets specific needs on the ground. Over the long-term, the Government of Vietnam hopes to use these answers to improve private sector interventions, which will in the long term provide better patient services by helping NTP to link with private sector providers and support them to provide better services, specifically: diagnosis, referral, and treatment.
This is a mapping activity that covers issues of quality and coverage for private sector providers. It may lead to a follow-on activity to provide NTP guidance on how to work effective with the private sector.
To provide a representative snapshot, three provinces have been selected for the study:
- North – Hanoi
- South- An Giang province
- South – Ho Chi Minh City
This analysis will combine both qualitative and quantitative methodologies. Aside from the data collection methods to be determined by the consultant team, an important part of this study is a stakeholder survey at multiple levels, focusing on answering Q4, besides others. The consultants will be asked to provide a final report that draws conclusions incorporating all the data collected and provide recommendations on how the data can best be utilized to improve overall TB services in Vietnam and expand/improve the private sector service options.
As such, the study will be conducted in two phases:
Phase 1: Consultant team to design research plan and conduct Round 1 field research at multiple levels.
Based on this first-round data collection, the team will decide on the sampling and design of Round 2 field research together with NTP, USAID and Learns.
Phase 2: Consultant team to conduct Round 2 field research.
Some specific activities that will serve to answer the above questions include:
- Finalize /refine study questions
- Team lead work with NTP, USAID, and Learns to develop a plan to collect relevant data
- Develop research tools (both qualitative and quantitative) *
- Conduct key informant interviews with service providers *
- Develop sampling methodology and questionnaires for the stakeholder survey
- Perform general oversight and data quality assurance for all data, including the stakeholder survey, Vitimes, and other secondary data to be used for analysis*
- Regional events to share and validate initial findings*
- Final report
The research team will be assisted by two enumerators. Detailed requirements for the position are provided below:
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in health sector research.
- Demonstrated experience in qualitative and quantitative data collection and analysis.
- Experience working with the government health care system in Vietnam, especially with NTP.
- Experience conducting patient interviews following ethical procedures.
- Fluency in Vietnamese and in-depth knowledge of the operating environment in Vietnam are required.
- Writing and spoken English skills are preferred.
- Provide logistical coordination for research team throughout study
- Follow-up with health facilities (by phone) to ensure they are completing online survey
- Support collection and analysis of secondary data (VITIMES, health facility data, etc.)
- Schedule and support the conducting of patient interviews
- Ensure ethical guidelines are adhered to throughout study process
- Support research team with tasks as needed
- Travel to field sites as needed
The closing date for application: July 23, 2020. Selection and interview will be performed constantly and interested candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.
To learn more about Social Impact, please visit our website: http://www.socialimpact.com. SI is an EEO/AA/ADA Veterans Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.