Please submit a cover letter with your resume describing your interest in this position and how you meet the requirements. Application materials must be submitted in English and applicants must have legal authorization to work in Vietnam to be considered and confirm this in their cover letter. PATH offers a highly dynamic work environment and provides competitive compensation and benefits based on experience. Salary and benefit package are paid in VND.
PATH is a global organization that works to accelerate health equity by bringing together public institutions, businesses, social enterprises, and investors to solve the world’s most pressing health challenges. With expertise in science, health, technology, advocacy, and dozens of other specialties, PATH develops and scales innovative solutions—including vaccines, drugs, devices, diagnostics, and approaches to strengthening health systems worldwide. Working in Vietnam since the early 1980s, PATH established a permanent office in Hanoi in 1997 and an office in Ho Chi Minh City in 2014.
Infectious Disease Detection and Surveillance (IDDS) is a five-year USAID-funded project with the following overall objectives: (1) Improve the detection of diseases of public health importance and identification of antimicrobial resistance (AMR) in priority infectious diseases through an accessible, accurate, adaptable, timely, and integrated diagnostic network system; (2)Improve the quality of real-time surveillance systems for pathogens of greatest public health concern, including AMR and zoonotic diseases, and; (3) Generate evidence-based guidance and innovative solutions to strengthen in-country diagnostic networks and surveillance systems. In Vietnam, the IDDS project will focus on activities to strengthen the TB diagnostic network in line with the Government of Vietnam’s National Strategic Plan to achieve three key outcomes:
- Optimized TB diagnostic network for Vietnam from national to facility level that addresses issues of access, timeliness and diagnostic accuracy
- A functional network of expanded testing facilities implementing a comprehensive Xpert and chest x-ray diagnostic algorithm (“Double X” TB diagnostic strategy)
- Optimized TB surveillance network for Vietnam that ensures complete, timely and accurate reporting of TB cases
PATH is seeking a TB Diagnostic Specialist to be responsible for supporting strengthening the tuberculosis (TB) diagnostic network and surveillance/reporting systems in line with the Government of Vietnam’s national strategic plan to end TB. This includes strengthening laboratory systems, primarily in public health but also private health and other non-governmental laboratories. This position reports to the IDDS TB Team Lead based in Hanoi, Vietnam.
- Implement tuberculosis-focused technical assistance, diagnostic network and facilities strengthening, and quality improvement interventions in line with national priorities
- Support developing or updating national diagnostic network strategic plans, SOPs and policies
- Review adherence to diagnostic algorithms and use of those algorithms to make clinical decisions
- Conducts assessments of diagnostic facilities and the follow-up of corrective and preventive actions and initiatives
- Monitors and reports progress with diagnostic network enhancement activities as per the approved country workplan
- Work collaboratively and coordinate with other technical staff as well as project partners on development and implementation of the project workplans
- Build capacity in local TB diagnostic stakeholders (including private health facilities) and leaders to identify and oversee enhancements in diagnostic networks.
- Provide technical assistance and training to TB diagnostic facilities and the overall diagnostic network as part of overall capacity building and continuous improvement programs including childhood tuberculosis diagnostic strategies enhancement
- Support strategies to ensure functional TB diagnostic equipment including systems to maintain laboratory equipment, securing maintenance contracts, and establishing a cadre of trained biomedical engineers
- Build capacity of TB laboratories to perform more TB diagnostic tests (culture, Xpert, drug sensitivity tests, and line probe assay including resistance to second line drugs).
- Develop and implement innovative, linked and comprehensive package of interventions enabling functional GX sites at the national and sub national levels
- Work closely with the IDDS team to define and adjust annual work plans as well as implementing technical activities
- Coordinate and work with a diverse group of national organizations including the Government and other diagnostic network leaders, development partners, other regional and global IDDS staff and USAID
- Follow established processes to guarantee the technical and programmatic quality of IDDS work in Vietnam