Research Triangle Institute International (RTI) has more than 60 years’ experience assisting governments, communities, and the private sector. As a non-for-profit, independent research institute based in North Carolina, USA, RTI has roughly 5,000 employees with global experience implementing international development projects in energy and other disciplines. Around the globe, RTI works to develop and implement low emission energy technology alternatives, raise private financing for energy infrastructure, bring efficiency to utilities, work with governments on legal and regulatory reforms to alleviate bottlenecks in energy generation and consumption, and increase access to green energy to sustain economic growth and reduce poverty. We serve as a chosen partner for USAID’s Power Africa programs in sub-Sahara Africa and have a growing international energy portfolio value at more than $200 million across Africa, Asia, and the Pacific Islands.
The purpose of the USAID Caribbean Energy Sector Modernization project is to provide technical assistance for energy reform to utilities, ministries, and regulators in the host countries to develop policies, laws, regulations, tools, and processes to design and operate more resilient and modern energy systems. By supporting the development, reform, and promotion of sustainable policies in the energy sector, this project will facilitate the harmonization of islands’ policies therefore creating a larger market for the expansion of cleaner and renewable energy generation. The anticipated project will be based in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic and include programming in Haiti, Jamaica, Dominican Republic, 10 Eastern/Southern Caribbean nations (Antigua and Barbuda, Dominica, Grenada, St. Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, St. Vincent and the Grenadines, Barbados, Trinidad and Tobago, Guyana, and Suriname).
RTI seeks a Task 1 Lead – Utility Performance/IRRP for the awarded USAID Caribbean Energy Sector Modernization project. The Task 1 Lead will focus on developing solutions and technologies for supporting modern utility performance in partner nations. This position will be based in Bridgetown, Barbados, or Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic, and report to the Chief of Party.
- Leads development of short, medium, and long-term action plans to increase RE capacity integration.
- Leads activities aimed at strengthening utility planning capabilities strengthened through training workshops
- Leads activities on transmission and distribution network expansion planning studies
- Leads activities aimed at improving optimization of grid assets through digitalization.
- Leads teams conducting Integrated Resource and Resilience Plans (IRRP) implementation.
- Leads activities on grid codes amendments based on IRRP and plan to increase the capacity limit on distributed generation.
- Leads development of corporate cybersecurity policies and internal strategies for data management to enhance consumer services and data protection
- Integrates cross-cutting themes into activities with emphasis on sustainability and innovation.
- Drives activities, drawing on long-term, part-time staff and short-term technical assistance to refine, support, and implement project activities.
- Works closely with other senior management team members to synthesize best practices, innovations, and lessons learned across the project.
- Bachelor’s Degree in an engineering or related field and 12 years of experience, Master’s degree and 10 years of experience, PhD and 6 years of experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Five years’ substantive experience working with Caribbean counterparts at various levels of government, private sector leaders, and other stakeholders in strengthening civil society engagement, capacity, and participation.
- Demonstrated skills and knowledge in improving utility operations and financial performance and strengthening system planning.
- Demonstrated skills in building, mobilizing, and leading multidisciplinary teams.
- Possession of intellectual, communications, leadership, and managerial skills necessary to develop, articulate, and implement a strategic vision for the project.
- Proven ability to work under pressure with multiple concurrent demands.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Proficiency in English is required, Spanish is desirable.
- Work experience in the Caribbean is required.
- Local nationals are encouraged to apply.