About the Opportunity
This exciting new role at Internews expands its new Media Business Unit (‘MBU’), focused on improving the business capabilities and performance of all news media outlets (‘Media Outlets’) Internews works with globally.
Media Outlets we work with are incredibly diverse, ranging from the largest news organizations in their countries to start-ups and volunteer-based organizations. We currently have multi-year programs in countries including Indonesia, Kenya, Myanmar and Zimbabwe.
Our work delivers impact across a broad range of disciplines aimed at improving the sustainability of news media, such as: media business environment analysis; business management; financial management; branding; audience development; content development; revenue development; marketing; audience analytics; business diversification; and innovation.
Reporting to the Senior Director of Media Business, the Sustainability Officer will ensure the team’s programs run on schedule to deliver impact and value to Media Outlets, Internews and its funders. Core to this is ensuring Media Outlets remain highly engaged in our programs.
Expecting much of our team’s initial work with Media Outlets to be performed remotely as a lasting impact of the COVID-19 pandemic, the Sustainability Officer will also guide how we work at a distance with Media Outlets and oversee our production of e-learning content related to media sustainability. Working with staff and specialist consultants, along with colleagues in our Knowledge and Learning department, the successful candidate will combine excellent coordination skills along with deep media business knowledge and experience. That knowledge is essential: to guide Media Outlets in media business topics, the successful candidate must have strong practical knowledge of them.
Currently, all Internews offices are closed due to the COVID-19 pandemic, and Internews staff are working remotely until at least 1 July 2021. Due to the breadth of time zones the Media Business Unit operates in, the ideal candidate for this role will be based in the Europe, Middle East or Africa regions and able to work remotely. In future, the position might require travel to countries in which the MBU works.
Work hours are moderately flexible, but are generally Monday through Friday from 9am to 6pm. That said, there will be a need to accommodate conferencing and communication with colleagues and counterparts in other time zones.
Your Day-to-Day Responsibilities Under this Position may Include:
- Maintaining contact with media outlets;
- Supporting media outlets in meeting agreed performance targets, milestones, and deadlines;
- Ensuring media outlets provide performance data while supporting in the analysis of that data;
- Coordinating with staff, specialist consultants, video producers, and the Knowledge and Learning team to ensure the Media Business Unit delivers engaging e-learning material for programs;
- Supporting media outlets in their progress through our e-learning material;
- Other duties as assigned
- Providing regular reports and analysis to management;
- Establishing best practices in creating and maintaining strong engagement in our program work by media outlets;
- Establishing best practices in the MBU’s use of e-learning and remote consultation, guided by colleagues in Knowledge and Learning;
- Understanding of and demonstrated commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values;
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications We’re Looking For:
To perform this job successfully, the individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential task.
- Relevant university degree required
- At least five years’ experience on the business side of news media, preferably from a variety of local news markets globally
- Excellent communication skills in English: speaking, writing, and listening
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills including diplomacy, tact, and the ability to negotiate
- Proven ability to set priorities and manage time effectively
- Proven analytical and problem-solving ability
- Proven ability to work both independently and as an effective team member
- Proven ability to prioritize and handle multiple ongoing assignments
- Proficiency in MS Office, including Excel
- Proficiency in a second language is preferred
- Experience with e-learning and remote consulting is ideal, but not necessary if the individual can demonstrate interest in mastering these essential skills as increasingly important components of delivering support to Media Outlets
This position is being offered and hired by Internews Network. Benefits will be consistent with Internews Network’s offerings and will be reviewed during the hiring process. Additional information can be found on our Internews Benefits page.