PATH is a global organization that works to accelerate health equity by bringing together public institutions, businesses, social enterprises, and investors to solve the world’s most pressing health challenges. With expertise in science, health, economics, technology, advocacy, and dozens of other specialties, PATH develops and scales solutions—including vaccines, drugs, devices, diagnostics, and innovative approaches to strengthening health systems worldwide.
PATH has been working to support local partners in Vietnam for 40 years. Our current portfolio in Vietnam includes work to support health care providers and communities prevent and respond to communicable and noncommunicable diseases, advance digital health innovation, and address global health security priorities.
PATH seeks an experienced public health surveillance expert to serve as Surveillance Program Officer on a potential United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (US CDC) funded program titled “Expanding Efforts and Strategies to Protect and Improve Public Health in Vietnam”. The project’s goal is to increase Vietnam’s ability to prevent, detect, and respond to emergencies of public health importance, as well as emerging infectious disease threats. This program expands on PATH’s current US CDC-funded Global Health Security Partnership activities in Vietnam.
The Surveillance Program Officer provides technical support to the design, implementation and monitoring of technical strategies to integrate and strengthen country disease surveillance systems. This position will report to the Surveillance Team Lead. The Program Officer will work closely with the Team Lead to partner with the government and stakeholders in developing national disease surveillance strategies. This position will be based in Hanoi.
Key responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Provide technical assistance in strengthening Vietnam’s event-based, indicator-based and community-based surveillance systems.
- Support efforts to improve in real-time reporting, data sharing and interoperability between surveillance and laboratory systems.
- Support the development and dissemination of surveillance standard operating procedures and guidelines.
- Provide training for key staff in the Government of Vietnam for strengthening the surveillance system.
- Identify gaps in core functions of human and animal disease surveillance systems.
- Ensure project activities are aligned with country priorities and are well-coordinated with other organizations working in Vietnam.
- Work closely with Global Health Security Agenda partners, regional and country Technical Leads and other stakeholders to ensure a coordinated approach to project implementation.