Internews seeks a Project Director for a media support project in the Baltics focused on supporting independent media and media literacy in Estonia, Latvia, and Lithuania. The project aims to foster resilience in media and society by helping make credible, professional media more competitive, and expanding domestic audiences and demand for fact-based, reliable information.
The Project Director will provide strategic guidance and leadership; oversee activities involving Baltic media outlets and media support organizations, among other potential beneficiaries; supervise program personnel, financial management, and administration; and coordinate with DRL, US Embassies, and other stakeholders in the region to ensure that Internews leverages existing resources, avoids duplication, and complements other media development initiatives. S/he will coordinate capacity-building activities for local partners, oversee grants management, and establish strong partnerships with counterparts across the region. Programmatic and financial management of the program will be supported by Internews’ Europe and Eurasia team and administrative staff, ensuring that all program operations meet Internews’ quality standards and are carried out in accordance with relevant rules and regulations.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following, other duties may be assigned:
- Manage and oversee organization and implementation of activities that take place throughout the Baltic states.
- Provide strategic, operational and representational leadership to ensure that activities are meeting their goals and targets on time and within budget, recommending program adjustments when necessary to keep the program on track.
- Supervise staff and coordinate with partners based throughout the region. Carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with organizational policies and applicable local laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; addressing complaints, and resolving problems.
- Cultivate and strengthen relationships with local and regional media and partner organizations throughout the region and ensure that program implementation is responsive to the needs of partners and beneficiaries.
- Write and edit program reports, communications materials, and other program documentation in collaboration with Internews staff and according to award stipulations.
- Serve as the public face and primary point of contact on the program for regional and in-country donor representatives and other stakeholders.
- Oversee program monitoring and evaluation to ensure effective implementation and to measure program impact.
- Maintain strategic awareness of independent media issues in the Baltic states and within the broader E&E region, and a thorough understanding of the challenges and opportunities facing independent media, especially online digital media.
- Ensure the program is in compliance with all donor rules, requirements, and regulations, as well as with Internews’ internal policies and procedures.
- Serve as the final budget authority over the program, ultimately responsible for ensuring that costs charged to the program are allowable, reasonable, and correctly allocated.
- Maintain regular communications with Internews headquarters staff to communicate progress on programming and address upcoming issues in advance.
- Provide supervisory and implementation support for any other Internews activities in or involving the Baltics, including leadership and administrative support and guidance, budgetary oversight, and regulatory compliance, to ensure activities are complementary and amplify individual project results.
- Work collaboratively with Internews’ Europe and Eurasia and Program Support teams to develop and carry out strategic business development goals that expand and strengthen Internews’ organizational role and positioning in the region and among US and international stakeholders.
- Provide consultative support as requested for other Internews programs in the region
- Represent Internews at relevant conferences, events, and donor meetings and develop and nurture business relationships as necessary.
- Demonstrate commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- 2-4 years experience in a management or programmatic role within international media development projects or media support organizations.
- A successful track record in supervising, designing, managing and/or implementing technical assistance for donor-funded media programs, and proven ability to develop and monitor work plans, training plans, and procurement plans.
- Experience managing and implementing complex, multifaceted development initiatives with demonstrated skill in organizing resources, establishing priorities, and overseeing diverse teams of employees.
- Demonstrated staff management and mentoring abilities.
- A strong reputation for developing excellent collaborative working relationships with local counterparts, international organizations, and donors.
- Experience working as an editor/journalist or with media outlets, particularly digital or multiplatform outlets, strongly preferred.
- Deep understanding of the media sector in the Baltics, as well as a broad understanding of the media sector in the larger Europe and Eurasia region.
- Experience with USG-funded projects is a plus.
- Experience leveraging other sources of funding to advance programmatic objectives.
- Proven ability to creatively problem-solve and provide ethical management.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and spoken.
- Proficient in MS Office.
- Ability to prioritize and handle multiple on-going assignments.
- Relevant university degree required.
Fluency in English and a local language (Latvian or Lithuanian) required, fluency in Russian highly preferred.
This position is being offered and hired by Internews Network. Benefits will be consistent with Internews Network’s offerings and will be reviewed during the hiring process. Additional information can be found on our About Working for Internews page.