Title: Market Dynamics Summer Program Associate (Temporary)
Location: Seattle or Washington DC, United States
Program: Technology, Analytics and Market Innovation
Start Date: Summer 2020
End Date: Summer 2020 *start and end dates can be flexible
Estimated number of hours per week: 40
Will the program associate travel? (local or international): No
*Please include a cover letter with your resume describing your interest and how you meet the qualifications.
PATH is a global organization that works to accelerate health equity by bringing together public institutions, businesses, social enterprises, and investors to solve the world’s most pressing health challenges. With expertise in science, health, economics, technology, advocacy, and dozens of other specialties, PATH develops and scales solutions—including vaccines, drugs, devices, diagnostics, and innovative approaches to strengthening health systems worldwide.
Lack of access to health products is often a result of market failures—that is, limited or inconsistent product availability, products of poor or unverified quality, or products that are inappropriately designed or unaffordable. The term market dynamics refers to a set of skills and approaches used to evaluate access to products and then achieve consistent, sustainable access to affordable, quality-assured products by catalyzing interventions that reduce long-term demand and supply imbalances. Our work entails identifying the root causes of market failures and developing strategies to overcome these issues, thereby strengthening markets and improving product access.
Description of the project the Program Associate will complete:
VivAccess project responsibilities:
PATH’s Market Dynamics Program is currently leading the VivAccess project, a Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation-funded 5-year initiative led by PATH and Medicines for Malaria Venture (MMV) to support countries in the control and elimination of Plasmodium vivax (P. vivax) malaria. The goal of VivAccess is to support the adoption and increased access to a suite of products to address the unique challenges associated with P. vivax malaria globally. Through VivAccess, PATH and MMV work closely with the World Health Organization, National Malaria Control Programs (NMCP), and country-based healthcare partners to support the introduction and use of these effective tools, which include malaria diagnostics, G6PD diagnostics, blood-stage drugs, and liver-stage radical-cure drugs. Guided by the leadership of national health agencies, VivAccess provides support in terms of market analytics, technical expertise, and product delivery coordination as countries seek to introduce effective radical cure into national malaria protocols and accelerate progress towards their malaria elimination goals.
PATH is seeking a temporary program associate to contribute to program development and implementation. The program associate will lead on malaria market research and analysis across multiple project workstreams and geographies. Our work spans across Asia, Africa, and South America. Program Associates will be expected to rapidly gain an understanding of the complex social, health, and market landscape for P. vivax malaria.
Program Associates can expect to:
- Generate landscapes of endemic country health systems, diagnostic and treatment regimes, regulatory systems, demand forecasting and procurement, and the challenges of introducing testing for G6PD deficiency and radical cure drugs through synthesizing primary and secondary fact-finding and analysis.
- Collaborate with PATH country offices and contribute to country-specific strategies to increase access to drugs and diagnostics for P. vivax malaria.
- Work with PATH’s Diagnostic team to gain background knowledge in malaria diagnostics product development and PATH’s lab to market efforts.
- Drive independent projects forward including analyses of prospective investments, development of use cases in various geographies, and ad hoc research needs
Brief description of required skills/experience:
- Student that is currently enrolled in a graduate program with preference for an MBA, MPP, MPA or equivalent, and at least three years of relevant work experience.
- Technical knowledge of market analytics or complex systems analysis including building, implementing and analyzing market research studies and quantitative models to inform global or developing country decision-making, e.g., demand forecasts and impact models.
- Previous public health, economic, strategy, business, or market research consulting experience will be a distinct advantage.
- Ability to accurately interpret results from publications in the fields of public health and economics.
- Experience working with healthcare products: vaccines, drugs, diagnostics, and/or medical devices (in developing countries or emerging markets preferred) a plus.
- Strong expertise in Microsoft Office products especially PowerPoint and excel. Experience with R, Stata, or Tableau a plus.
- Proven effectiveness working in a team-based environment, but capable also of working independently and taking initiative.
- Excellent verbal and written communication and presentation skills.
- Comfortable in ambiguous situations.
- Versatile and responsive working virtually and collaboratively with teams across the world.
- Passion for learning.
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task.
Must have legal authorization to work in the United States.
PATH is dedicated to building an inclusive workforce where diversity is valued.
PATH is an equal opportunity employer. Every qualified applicant will be considered for employment. PATH does not discriminate based on race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or orientation, genetic information, age, national origin, marital status, disability status, political ideology, military or protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.