Job title: Subaward & Finance Coordinator (temporary)
Department: Anglophone Africa
Based in Washington, D.C.
Reports to the Subaward Manager
Who we are
We’re Population Services International (PSI), the world’s leading non-profit social marketing organization. We work to make it easier for people in the developing world to lead healthier lives and plan the families they desire by marketing affordable products and services that range from mosquito nets to contraceptives to HIV testing.
There are over 7,000 “PSI’ers” around the world. It’s a diverse group of entrepreneurs and professionals with an unusually wide range of backgrounds – from the medical industry to the music business – all with unique skills we bring to the job.
We are looking for someone with experience in a large organization with a fast-paced dynamic office environment and an interest in gaining experience in the financial management of large projects. This role is largely administrative but offers the opportunity to learn and gain insight into the financial and program management of large donor funded international development projects. The successful candidate will be very detail oriented, have a desire to learn, and an ability work with team members and other departments to find answers and get things done. Being pro-active, prioritizing well, and managing one’s time are critical. Strong multi-tasking and problem-solving capabilities are key. A team player who is attentive to detail and has excellent organizational skills is highly sought.
Sound like you? Read on.
- Support Anglophone Africa Financial Analysts, network members, and project teams with reporting and ad-hoc requests
- Respond to requests for information and guidance for Finance, Accounting, and Budget related matters
- Prepare re-class requests for Anglophone Africa projects and work with Accounting to have them completed
- Review project budget set-ups in PSI’s internal financial system for accuracy
- Support and assist Program Managers in Finance, Accounting, and Budget related matters as needed
- Assist in tracking required financial report deadlines and reviewing invoices
- Assist in the preparation of monthly, quarterly reports, and ad-hoc financial reports
- Review and process subrecipient financial reports, including validating expenditures through a sampled review of supporting documentation, and identifying internal control weaknesses and disallowed or questioned costs
- Prepare and submit subaward advance, liquidation, and reimbursement requests for HQ-paid subrecipients; track subrecipient payments and monitor cash balances
- For field-based subrecipients, support in reconciliation of subrecipient actual expenditures compared with advance payments, and clearing of cash balances
- Liaise with Country Teams and PSI/W staff, researching and coordinating information
- Other duties or special projects and analyses as assigned
What are we looking for?
The candidate we hire will embody PSI’s corporate values:
Collaboration: You can work independently, but thrive within a team.
Trust: You trust that your manager and team will have your back and care deeply about gaining that same trust from your teammates
Pragmatism: You dive in and maintain momentum even when things are ambiguous and you don’t let perfect get in the way of good enough.
Honesty: You aren’t afraid to speak up and speak your mind.
Measurement: You set clear and challenging goals and hold yourself accountable to driving measurable results.
Commitment: You’re independent and a free thinker, but you’re ready to buy in to the direction of the team and commit to its success.
- Undergraduate degree in finance and accounting or related field
- Minimum of 2 years’ work experience in accounting or subaward management
- Subaward and/or grants management experience preferred
- Experience with Audit and report preparation preferred
- Proficiency in Excel
- Must have basic common knowledge of accounting practices and procedures
- Must be customer service oriented
- Meticulous attention to detail with a commitment to producing accurate and quality work
- Must possess the ability to work professionally and independently in a fast-paces, team-oriented environment
- Must have the ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks
- Must be pro-active and be able to manage his/her time well
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written
- Temporary position with potential to become permanent, pending performance and budget availability
- Referenes will be required.
- The succesful candidate will be required to pass a background check.
- Must be authorized to work in the U.S.
What would get us excited?
- A basic understanding of accounting and journal entries
- Preferences will be given to candidates with exposure to Lawson and/or QBE
PSI is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from qualified individuals regardless of actual or perceived race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, personal appearance, matriculation, political affiliation, family status or responsibilities, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, childbirth, related medical conditions or breastfeeding, genetic information, amnesty, veteran, special disabled veteran or uniform service member status or employment status.