The USAID Office of Transition Initiatives (OTI) has activated a six-month Regional Programming Option (RPO) in Afghanistan through the USAID/OTI Malaysia Program Task Order to support peace and reconciliation in Afghanistan, particularly around the Intra-Afghan Negotiations (IAN). The program aims to enable the Government of Afghanistan to engage in and advance peace negotiations with the Taliban and to inform medium and long-term peace building efforts.
The Strategic Communications & Public Relations Consultant will report to the Regional Program Manager (RPM), and work closely with the program start-up team. While the position will be engaged with activity development, the position will focus primarily on identifying and supporting strategic communications and public relations initiatives around the IAN and broader peace process.
This is a remote expat (STTA) position.
Responsibilities: The Strategic Communications & Public Relations Consultant will:
- Design activities that include (1) developing specific communications strategies or campaigns around the IAN, (2) trainings for beneficiary communications staff, and (3) designing and implementing specific public relations campaigns;
- Work directly with the Afghanistan Government, USAID/OTI or CSO counterparts to help identify key strategic communication priorities, messages and target audiences;
- Provide advice, reports and presentations to USAID/OTI and Embassy colleagues on any political, legal, and economic developments that may impact future program planning;
- Act as a positive representative of the Program, DAI, USAID/OTI and the U.S. Embassy in Afghanistan and maintain positive non-partisan relations with the ministry and ministry counterparts
- Critically assess the evolving country situation to identify needs and creatively design strategic communications approaches and public relations programs to respond to urgent needs surrounding the IAN;
- Advise USAID/OTI and the RPM on the evolution of the local political, legal, and economic situation in Afghanistan;
- Draft initial activities during the start-up period, including background statements, theories of change, implementation plans, M&E plans etc.
- Proactively identify grant opportunities and reactively respond to grant ideas from USAID/OTI; then fully develop grant ideas;
- Provide updates and analysis of key developments in targeted thematic areas (e.g. research and analysis, community cohesion, etc.);
- Develop and maintain relationships with organizations/actors in key target sectors (e.g. local NGOs, media, etc.);
- Meet with partner organizations (virtually);
- Other duties as assigned by the Regional Program Manager that are consistent with the overall focus of the assignment.
- University degree in communications, public relations, social sciences, political sciences, business administration, or related field
- Minimum ten years of professional experience in a related field.
- Relevant experience in a related role working in/with government, in/with civil society or non-profit organizations, in/with international organizations required.
- Relevant experience in a creative role working in/with government, media (traditional and new media within Afghanistan), civil society, or social impact/social enterprise organizations.
- Experience working on USAID programs highly desired.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the peace process in Afghanistan.
- Critical thinking and analytical skills required.
- Strong computer skills (MS Office suite) required.
- Experience with grants or small grants-under-contract programs preferred.
- Fluency in English is required; Dari and/or Pashto is a plus
Please direct all applications to APSArecruitment@dai.com with the subject line: Strategic Communications & Public Relations Consultant.