Working Title: State Technical Officer – Urban Health
Internal Title: IN Program Officer II
Location: Ranchi – Jharkhand
Division: South Asia Hub
Reports to: Lead – Health Systems – South Asia
PATH is a global nonprofit dedicated to achieving health equity. With more than 40 years of experience forging multisector partnerships, and with expertise in science, economics, technology, advocacy, and dozens of other specialties, PATH develops and scales up innovative solutions to the world’s most pressing health challenges.
About the project
The urban population in India is growing rapidly, and by 2050 it will reach 877 million—almost two-thirds of India’s population. Contrary to the popular notion of easier access to healthcare in urban areas, the health indicators of urban poor are often comparable or worse than their rural counterparts – including immunization, cancer screening, out-of-pocket expenses, etc. While the urban poor are highly susceptible to infectious disease, they also bear the burden of non-communicable diseases due to their dietary practices.
To address this widening gap, the government has launched several programs for strengthening primary health care services in Urban India – National Urban Health Mission, National Health Policy (2017), and Fifteenth Finance Commission (XV FC). Despite these efforts, there is a need to draw policy and investment focus as well ensure implementation of national programs in the Urban Primary Health Care landscape.
PATH is providing Technical Assistance to states for improving access to primary health care services in select urban geographies. Under this goal, PATH will support the selected urban geographies with the following:
- Enhance the accessibility of primary health care services through Technical Assistance for impthe lementation of National Urban Health programs and Quality Standards in Health and Wellness Centers.
- Strengthened capacity, efficiency, and resilience of the health systems.
- Catalyze community engagement for healthcare systems.
About the position
PATH is seeking a State Technical Officer – Urban Health, for leading the Urban Health program in select States. Key responsibilities include leading the Technical Assistance support to the State as well as State-level liaising for the program.
- Represent PATH at state level and engage with state officials on a day-to-day basis.
- Conceptualize and provide technical assistance to the state for rollout of key Government Urban Health Programs as well as project activities in healthcare facilities across the state.
- Conceptualize and provide technical assistance to the state for strengthening health system capacity and improve community engagement for health systems across the state.
- Work closely with state government counterparts to develop, implement monitor project activities including roadmaps, work-plans, activities, reports.
- Lead a team of 3-5 members to conduct technical assistance activities for urban health setup across the state and ensure proper implementation coordination at state, city, district level, and facility level.
- Identify and pursue opportunities on an on-going basis in the state for improving access to primary health care.
- Identify and lead partnerships with other development partners at the state for improving access to urban primary health care.
- Gather and analyze evidence from field review visits from different citiesss/districts to inform projects and government policy to advocate appropriate changes with state governments.
- Undertake progress monitoring through frequent interactions with state teams through structured field visits and use of online platforms.
- Enable recommendations to donors, government, and other stakeholders as part of the project.
- Ensure sustainability of project interventions at the state beyond project duration.
- Undertake other tasks which may be assigned from time to time by the Lead – Health Systems.
- Work closely with other government organizations in the state and other stakeholders as required.