Working Title: State Lead
Internal Title: IN Business Officer
Duration: 2 years
PATH is a global nonprofit dedicated to achieving health equity. With more than 40 years of experience forging multisector partnerships, and with expertise in science, economics, technology, advocacy, and dozens of other specialties, PATH develops and scales up innovative solutions to the world’s most pressing health challenges.
About the program:
PATH has been a global leader over two decades working on rice fortification technology advancement, building evidence, and implementing in multiple countries. Many pilots conducted over the years by PATH demonstrated operational feasibility of distribution of fortified rice through safety net programs and open market in India.
Studies have shown that consumption of fortified rice has positive impact towards combating iron deficiency anaemia and other vitamin deficiencies. The Government of India and other stakeholders such as FSSAI and NITI Aayog have acknowledged the importance of rice fortification and need to introduce it through various safety net programs in India. Billions of people around the world suffer from micronutrient malnutrition. To address the need, PATH has advanced and commercialized the Ultra Rice technology, filling an important market gap in the range of solutions for addressing micronutrient malnutrition. PATH’s Ultra Rice® technology packs vitamins and minerals into extruded rice grains made from rice flour. PATH has licensed the technology to several manufacturers, and regional technology centers have
Over the last few years, PATH has been a technical partner to the national government’s Food Safety Standards Authority of India (FSSAI). PATH has played an imperative role in guiding FSSAI on the regulation for staple foods and is now working with FSSAI, its newly established Food Fortification Resource Centre (FFRC), and state governments to scale-up rice fortification in the government’s safety net programs. PATH is also supporting FFRC in developing a national repository on food fortification evidence and implementation tools including quality control and assurance tools. PATH’s advocacy with government has led to introduction of fortified rice in MDM program in several states including Andhra Pradesh, Rajasthan, Karnataka, Chandigarh.
The State Lead (SL) will work under the overall guidance of the Program Lead (PL) and National Team, to support implementation of rice fortification project. SL will be responsible for providing technical and operational assistance to the PL in implementing PATH’s fortification projects in the states, which includes advocacy, partner management, capacity building, monitoring and reporting functions.
- Lead the design and implementation of rice fortification through the Public Distribution System (PDS) at the state level, including marketing strategies to enhance uptake among PDS consumers.
- Facilitation of deliverables in the program, obtain necessary government approvals and from relevant government authorities as appropriate to address the proper implementation.
- Monitor the technical aspects of ongoing project activities through field visits, meetings with millers, government officials, analyse the progress reports and prepare project briefs.
- Implementation of the training and capacity building programs for stakeholders on fortification of rice & Ultra rice technology, QA/QC, M&E.
- Expand fortified rice production through blending with FRK in the State and support for installation of blending system and FRK extrusion system as appropriate.
- Assess and identify appropriate blending and validation equipment for small and medium sized rice mills and warehouse.
- Support state department on empanelment of NABL laboratories for fortified rice testing and ensuring QA/QC protocols as per FSSAI guidelines.
- Develop case studies of the various distribution pilots in order to disseminate best practices, as well as further engage entities the supply and distribution chain, enlist the support of policymakers, and cultivate new buyers.
- Lead the on-going development of an M&E system. Support state government departments in compilation of district level data/ reports received from rice fortification projects, identify gaps and suggest necessary corrective actions.
- Undertake stock assessment of fortified rice and FRKs through MIS for effective implementation.
- Support evaluation studies and formative research being carried out in the state.
- Dissemination and support in development of SBC materials in the regional languages, training modules, monitoring tools for the state government on rice fortification.
- Drive forward efforts to further optimize the formulation, equipment or manufacturing process parameters with R&D partners.
- Successful project delivery will include full implementation from initiation to deployment for one major or several minor initiatives simultaneously in the respective state.
- Reporting on program progress, trainings, workshops and meetings for the rice fortification project in the state across ICDS/MDM/PDS.
- Work towards inter-departmental coordination by leading and supporting State TSU.