PATH is a global organization that works to accelerate health equity by bringing together public institutions, businesses, social enterprises, and investors to solve the world’s most pressing health challenges. With expertise in science, health, economics, technology, advocacy, and dozens of other specialties, PATH develops and scales solutions—including vaccines, drugs, devices, diagnostics, and innovative approaches to strengthening health systems worldwide.
Respiratory Care Management (RCM) program
The second wave of coronavirus pandemic in India has quickly spiraled into a devastating crisis. Reported daily new infections have crossed the 400,000 mark (world record) while daily reported deaths are more than 2,700. Moreover, experts suggest that the peak is yet to come. Lockdowns and curfews have been enforced in varying degrees across the country which are hurting livelihoods – particularly of those who are already vulnerable. Health systems across the country are collapsing – there is an acute shortage of hospital beds, personnel, drugs, testing kits, and life-saving oxygen.
PATH has been working in the field of oxygen delivery for almost a decade. Our work has brought together Advocacy and Policy, Market Development, Engineering, Product Design/Innovation, and Health System Strengthening. PATH globally has provided medical oxygen technical assistance in over 10 geographies including currently in 7 states in India. PATH is a key member of the ACT-A COVID-19 Oxygen Emergency Task Force led by the WHO. PATH’s team is made up of both global and country-based experts with an in-depth understanding of the oxygen ecosystem providing support. We have tools and expertise to support rigorous facility oxygen needs assessments, quantification, costing and oxygen distribution network design, and facility selection.
In India, PATH has been working closely with the Indian states of Maharashtra, Punjab, and Karnataka providing technical assistance for respiratory care. In the last year or so, PATH has coordinated across the Ministry of Health, State Health Departments, District Authorities, various facility-level functionaries, and vendors to address delays and fast-track installation of Government of India / PM Cares approved PSA oxygen plants. PATH teams are engaged in daily monitoring of district-wise availability of resources, storage capacity, projection of oxygen inventory requirement, procurement coordination, and related market-shaping work.
Currently, PATH is working with Government Officials, Donors, and Partners to providing technical assistance to 9 states for helping them become Self-sufficient in oxygen. Under this project, we are supporting state governments to:
- Procure and Provide Oxygen equipment to enable community-based care.
- Provide technical assistance to set up and install oxygen equipment in Healthcare facilities.
- Address the most critical bottlenecks in the Oxygen supply by providing critical care assistance to support the management of a coherent demand & supply matching, micro-planning, and forecasting to disaggregate the oxygen supply across the country and support states in addressing the ongoing crisis.
The State Lead will work with State governments and healthcare facility staff to support the setup of Oxygen equipment in Healthcare facilities.
Specifically, the State Lead will:
- Provide technical assistance to states for the setup of Oxygen equipment in the state.
- Facilitate the establishment of state-level response units for COVID-19 at the state level for planning and managing the provision of oxygen in the state and work closely with State Government counterparts to develop, implement monitor project activities including roadmaps, work plans, activities, reports.
- Lead a team of 5-10 members to conduct technical assistance activities for oxygen equipment set up across the state and ensure proper implementing coordination at the State and District level.
- Represent PATH at the State Level and engage with state officials on a day-to-day basis.
- Conduct vendor coordination for equipment purchases and installation (through sub-awards to vendors) including some level of warranty, repair, and maintenance support.
- Conduct rapid facility assessment for setup of oxygen equipment.