With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 700 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace where innovation and results are a way of life.
EDF envisions a world in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected to the environmental challenges we face and are engaged in creating durable, equitable solutions. We seek talented candidates who share our Core Values of Respect, Results, Innovation, Optimism, and Integrity, and support our Commitment to Diversity.
Senior Specialist, Fisheries Innovations
Location: Remote or San Francisco, CA
Healthy oceans are the lifeblood of our planet. But they’re in peril – from climate change, overfishing, habitat destruction and other threats. That’s why EDF’s Climate Resilient Fisheries & Oceans team is working to safeguard the oceans and protect nature while feeding the planet, creating more secure livelihoods, and bolstering more equitable societies for human well-being. One of the greatest threats to the oceans is overfishing, which is why our dedicated team of scientists, economists, and fishery management experts are collaborating with partners around the globe to make sustainable fishing the norm. Through our work in the U.S., Latin America, and Asia Pacific, we draw on strong science and economic principles to advance sustainable fishing practices, forward-looking policies and innovative tools that support the health of our oceans and the people who depend on them for food and their livelihoods.
The Senior Specialist, Fisheries Innovations will play a key role in advancing solutions for climate-resilient fisheries through application of cutting-edge tools and technologies. They will be a member of EDF’s Fishery Solutions Center (FSC), supporting EDF’s Oceans Technology Solutions work and reporting to the Director, Oceans Technology Solutions. They will develop and implement on-the-water projects to apply technology solutions to key fisheries challenges, collaborating with global EDF staff and partners to ensure successful implementation of technology projects that benefit fisheries, fishing communities and ocean ecosystems. The Senior Specialist will communicate technology project outcomes and contribute to work products that shape the narrative around technology use within the broader oceans technology community. Additionally, as a member of the FSC, the Senior Specialist will design and deliver technical fisheries science and management trainings to diverse audiences.
- Collaborate with EDF regional teams and partners to identify and design technology solutions to address pressing needs for climate resilient fisheries and oceans globally (e.g., fisheries monitoring, rebuilding fish stocks, habitat assessments, increasing value for fishing communities).
- Research existing, new and emerging technologies (in fisheries and other sectors) and document research findings in reports, case studies, and other communications and training materials.
- Coordinate with global EDF staff and partners, including governments, community organizations, fishers and technology service providers, to ensure the successful implementation of oceans technology pilot projects.
- Design and execute fisheries science and management trainings in conjunction with global EDF staff and partners.
- Develop reports, guidance documents, blogs, and other communications materials to communicate practical information on fisheries science and management to diverse audiences.
- Develop work plans, define project needs, outcomes and scopes of work, draft requests for proposals and manage project work and deliverables.
- Foster and build effective communication structures and undertake ongoing communications activities with internal EDF staff, targeted external partners and the broader fisheries community as a whole.
- Conduct outreach and build/maintain relationships with technology service providers and other players to help connect technology businesses’ interests with fishery conservation and livelihoods objectives.
- Develop and apply appropriate means for measuring the success of OTS projects.
- Serve as EDF’s representative in external settings such as conferences, workshops and other venues.
- Participate in advancing EDF’s Diversity, Equity and Inclusion goals in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected, included, and empowered to address the environmental and organizational challenges in alignment with EDF values.
- Apply excellent organizational, communication, and planning skills by responding to requests for information, helping to coordinate training activities and projects for the team and contributing to reports as needed.
- Conduct additional responsibilities as needed as part of a dynamic team.
- Bachelor’s degree in Marine Science, Environmental Science, Natural Resource Management, International Policy or another related field.
- At least 4 years of relevant experience in fisheries and oceans science, technology and management or an advanced degree with 2 or more years of experience.
- Expertise in fisheries science, policy and management.
- Interest in technological applications to environmental and social challenges.
- Demonstrated experience developing and facilitating trainings for diverse audiences.
- Experience in project management and exceptional personal organization and attention to detail.
- Ability to work on multiple projects concurrently, both independently and as a member of small teams in a dynamic and creative environment; meeting deadlines and responding quickly to changing opportunities.
- Strong analytical skills and experience performing rigorous analysis in support of highly visible work.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills with the ability to communicate complex information to diverse audiences.
- Proficiency in the use of PCs and Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, etc.).
- Demonstrated self-awareness, cultural competency and inclusivity, and ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders across diverse cultures and backgrounds.
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally as needed.
- Commitment to the mission of Environmental Defense Fund.
- Proficiency in Spanish language is strongly preferred.
- Experience in relevant fields such as business or international development is desirable but not required.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant’s qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.