With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 700 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace where innovation and results are a way of life.
EDF envisions a world in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected to the environmental challenges we face and are engaged in creating durable, equitable solutions. We seek talented candidates who share our Core Values of Respect, Results, Innovation, Optimism, and Integrity, and support our Commitment to Diversity.
Senior Financial Analyst, Natural Climate Solutions
The Senior Financial Analyst will help develop, track and analyze budgets and fundraising proposals, will organize and present financial data for reporting and decision-making, and will oversee financial processes for the Natural Climate Solutions workstream, which is a part of the People and Nature mission Impact team. This requires organizing the data, building spreadsheets and financial reports, reviewing contracts and grants, performing financial analysis and projections, reconciling variances, and identifying and resolving any issues. They will pursue continuous improvement in reporting and processes used to monitor budgets and present complex financial data for decision-making to both financial and non-financial audiences.
The Senior Financial Analyst will work with be a finance thought partner with colleagues in the People and Nature mission program area and report through the mission operations group. Working in this matrixed environment, the Senior Financial Analyst will ensure the production of timely, accurate, and insightful financial information for various stakeholders. The Senior Financial Analyst will report to the Associate VP, People and Nature.
Location: Any EDF office in the U.S or U.S. Remote
- Provide day-to-day financial management, including expense reclasses, managing the movement of expenses and funds between entities, and working closely with Development on other fund and revenue related matters
- Prepare and facilitate fundraising proposal budgets and donor financial reports on awarded revenue
- Support Program and Finance staff to produce timely month-end reports of actual vs. budget results, ensuring accuracy and completeness; investigate, analyze, and explain variances from budget for income and expense line items
- Perform financial operations including those related to invoices, contracts review, and ensuring correct coding of expenses
- Prepare budgets and financial reports for various stakeholders, including program staff, internal management, finance staff, and senior operations leads
- Identify variances and issues in budget management and work with program staff to correct
- Work with program management, program staff, finance staff, and development staff to assist in the development of department annual budget submissions
- Participate in advancing EDF DEI goals in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected, included, and empowered to address the environmental and organizational challenges in alignment with EDF values
- Perform additional relevant responsibilities as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Finance, or Accounting or related field.
- Minimum 4 years’ relevant experience with a Bachelor’s or an advanced degree with at least 2 years of experience; finance and/or accounting experience in a non-profit organization is strongly preferred
- Demonstrated familiarity of GAAP and thorough understanding of non-profit accounting principles and grants management
- Reporting experience with government grants, foundations, and private donors is a plus
- Proven knowledge of budgeting, forecasting, and reporting required
- Ability to perform financial analysis and to create insight from a large-scale general ledger.
- Detail-oriented: the ability to spot trends and ensure accuracy
- Experienced in MS Office Suite, with expertise in Excel: the ability to develop formulas, pivot tables, charts and spreadsheets that clearly present data to facilitate decision-making by management. Experience with NetSuite is a plus.
- Experience in fund accounting is a plus
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and diplomatic skills: the ability to effectively liaise with colleagues
- Solid organizational and problem-solving skills: the ability to multi-task and be flexible under pressure with changing priorities and perform well in a fast-paced team environment
- Self-motivated: the ability to work productively and independently as well as collaboratively with a team
- Demonstrates self-awareness, cultural competency and inclusivity, and ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders across diverse cultures and backgrounds.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant’s qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.