BASIC PURPOSE: We are seeking a highly dynamic, efficient, and emotionally intelligent Sr Director of Global HR and Organizational Development to be based out of Atlanta, GA. The ideal candidate will provide on the ground leadership for our staff located in Atlanta as well as help create a solid operational base for the implementation of our new Regional Office model as well as our missionaries and programs in over 126 different countries.
The Sr Director of Global HR and Organizational Development is a newly created position and will report directly to the General Treasurer/COO. This HR role will relate not only to US Headquarters and International Regional Office staff but also missionaries throughout the world. This role will need to be both operational and strategic. The person will need to create and streamline internal human resources processes so that specialist functions can serve the needs of management and our staff, while smoothly interfacing with the human resources generalists and managers who ultimately deliver the services.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
This individual will:
- Support the three international offices including aligning local HR structure with organization’s HQ norms.
- Provide HR services for the UMCOR international field offices and resourcing for the HR business partner in each regional office.
- Oversee work of Mission Personnel HR staff and provide HR strategic resourcing for missionary personnel practices.
- Be responsible for providing overall direction for the HR specialist functions- organizational effectiveness, employee relations talent management, recruitment, compensation & benefits, and HRIS.
- Develop and implement HR strategies, initiatives, and communication channels to ensure they all work seamlessly together towards a common goal under the HR global strategy for both HQ and Regional offices.
- Monitor the budget for the global HR functions.
- Serve as a lead advisor to Global Ministries senior management and departments and to the board of directors or board committees where necessary.
- Lead numerous special projects including the redesign of our workforce planning process.
The successful candidate will be solutions oriented, have a positive attitude, be a strategic thinker and a creative problem solver. He/she will need a global perspective with the ability to thrive in a fast-changing, fast-paced, and collaborative environment. They will need to be comfortable troubleshooting often with strict deadlines and without loss of attention to detail, and will need to be an effective collaborator and organizer, to get things done in a highly matrixed environment.
The person will need to be comfortable making decisions with sometimes limited and/or conflicting information and to see both the big picture as well as the concrete steps needed to achieve major goals.
In addition to the above, we are looking for someone who has the qualities and abilities to:
- Think strategically about HR processes and operations.
- Bring expert knowledge of best practices in HR and ability to recommend solutions based on Global Ministries’ structure and organizational needs.
- Extensive experience (10+ years) in an advisory role to local senior management, including local board of directors or board committees.
- Extensive experience being in a leadership role with teams that work and grow, including managing work flow, reviewing work and providing feedback and overseeing overall budget.
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal (in English); proficiency in other languages will be a great advantage.
- Inâdepth understanding of missionary culture, needs and historical context highly preferred.
- Able to work well with Global Ministries colleagues with demonstrated empathic, collaborative and appropriate persuasion.
- Supporting the opening of international offices including aligning local HR structure with organization’s HQ norms.
- Designing and administering compensation/pension benefits programs in the U.S. and abroad.
- Experience overseeing missionary compensation including with international expatriate COLA/salary implementation.
- Proven past success at creating and overseeing significant organizational restructuring (20% plus) of an organization.
- Extensive experience developing workforce plans for multigenerational, multi-cultural, global organizations.
- Managing employee relations within a diverse missionary community or other faith based international or NGO settings.
- Proven successful recruiting efforts which significantly enhanced staff skill set.
- Ability to be a strategic thinker, teacher, mentor and consensus builder, moving with ease between those roles.
- Be skilled in key areas of organizational development such as:
- Deliberately planned, organization-wide effort to increase an organization’s effectiveness and/or efficiency and promote organizational readiness to meet change.
- Providing opportunities for people in organizations to influence the way in which they relate to work, the organization, and the environment.
- Able to demonstrate past significant success in assisting organizations in navigating change and increasing organizational effectiveness and employee morale.
- 10-15 years minimum in of experience in HR or related areas.
- 10 plus years in a lead HR role (HR Director, CHRO, VP or SVP) highly desired.
Position is based in Atlanta.