Put your passion and skills to work for the planet. Climate change is the most urgent issue of our time, and we need people like you to help us build a vital Earth — for everyone.
We’re Environmental Defense Fund, a fast-paced nonprofit with a growing staff of more than 1,000 people in nearly 30 countries. We deliver game-changing solutions that cut climate pollution and strengthen people’s ability to thrive despite the effects climate change is already having. We work wherever we can have the most impact, from local communities to top companies to governments worldwide, and even in space.
Our culture, values and commitment to diversity make EDF an exciting and meaningful place to work. Every job here makes a difference. Won’t you join us?
Senior Communications Specialist, Community Engagement
The Senior Communications Specialist, Community Engagement, will help to build EDF’s diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice communications capacity. The Senior Communications Specialist will often play the role of a generalist utilizing their skillset in communications support, writing, editing, media tracking, social media, and other key communications tasks.
The Senior Communications Specialist will report to the Director, DEI & Justice Communications, and work as part of the Community Engagement team. This position will support the Director on a variety of communications campaigns and coordinate across EDF’s Marketing and Communications Teams, Community Engagement staff, community partners, and external vendors.
- Implement offline and online strategic communications plans for campaign and program activities across multiple platforms, including owned media channels, internal platforms, earned media and social media.
- Draft press releases, fact sheets, blogs, social content and other materials using the highest writing standards, utmost accuracy, and EDF’s style and messaging.
- Generate earned media exposure in key media outlets in alignment with established strategies and communications plans.
- Track and analyze EDF media clips on existing platforms, including Cision, to provide relevant information for reporting to stakeholders, including board meetings.
- Research climate, energy, legislative and related issues as needed to inform communications efforts.
- Manage vendors and contractors to produce communications deliverables on deadline.
- Assist with maintaining and organizing electronic files, including media lists, press clips, collateral, etc.
- Help manage a portfolio of diverse community groups and partner organizations by cultivating, informing, and engaging local and national partners through a variety of channels.
- Work with the EDF content and digital teams, and outside consultants when applicable, to facilitate the design and production of creative assets, such as web pages, share graphics, reports, fact sheets, videos, etc.
- Respond to breaking news and events using social media, press releases, and other means in alignment with EDF’s and Community Engagement’s strategies and values.
- Participate in advancing EDF DEI goals in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected, included, and empowered to address the environmental and organizational challenges in alignment with EDF’s values.
- Additional relevant responsibilities as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree or commensurate experience in journalism, public relations, communication, marketing, or relevant field required.
- 4+ years of relevant experience developing, managing, and executing media, communications, or advocacy strategies required.
- Background or strong knowledge of environmental issues required.
- Experience in advocacy communications or public relations is preferred.
- Experience in basic graphic and web design, as well as video editing experience, is preferred.
- Excellent writing, verbal, proofing, and editing skills with the ability to synthesize nuanced, detailed information into concise, engaging content for a variety of audiences.
- Proactive self-starter with a strong ability to anticipate logistical needs, quickly resolve issues and conflicts, and plan for multiple outcomes.
- Strong social media skills and experience in using social media platforms and tools.
- Strong ability to work independently and as a collaborative team member.
- Experience managing contractors (e.g., web and graphic designers, communications consultants, etc.).
- Demonstrates self-awareness, cultural competency and inclusivity, and ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders across diverse cultures and backgrounds.
- Excellent judgment and interpersonal skills, including the ability to maintain tact, diplomacy, and confidentiality while representing the organization and interfacing with all levels of staff, volunteers, funders, and vendors.
- Ability to adapt to frequent change and prioritize multiple tasks effectively under deadline pressure.
- Detail-oriented with excellent organizational skills.
- Ability and willingness to travel up to 30% of the time.
We offer a strong total rewards package encompassing competitive
salary, robust benefits, and professional development opportunities
consistent with a modern global organization.
The pay range for this role is 63,000 –
which takes into account factors such as candidate experience, skills,
training, internal team equity and local norms.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant’s qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.