*This position is preferred in Seattle, but open globally.*
PATH has established a Center of Excellence (CoE) for microarray patch (MAP) technology. The overall goal of the CoE is to advance the MAP technology platform to transform delivery of vaccines and essential medicines for diseases of global health importance. Through the MAPs CoE, PATH is collaborating with MAP developers, pharmaceutical companies, and public-health stakeholders and partners to develop the value proposition for priority MAP products and support product development. Activities include developing well-informed target product profiles, determining user needs, supporting technical development, advancing manufacturing processes, clearly articulating the business case and public health value proposition, and creating regulatory pathways for MAPs.
PATH is seeking a consultant to develop business cases for future investment in two MAP products – measles-rubella (MR) vaccine and long-acting hormonal contraception. Technical proof-of-concept is underway for each of these by multiple MAP developers, with funding from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation and other donors, but a long-range commercialization plan is a gap that is key to fill. This work will involve pulling together a strategy that would identify potential partners, define the market opportunity, and review incentives for commercialization partners and global health stakeholders (donors, procurers) to engage in commercialization partnerships and undertake the substantial investment that will be required to move a MAP candidate through clinical development, regulatory approval, manufacturing scale-up, and eventual program introduction in low and middle income countries (LMICs).
These two business cases could be completed by the same person, or may require two separate consultants, dependent on expertise.
- Gather information on the market opportunity and challenges for a MAP product by conducting literature review of existing information, interviews with key stakeholders including technology developers, pharmaceutical industry, donors, and public health organizations.
- Generate a net present value model for the MAP product under different scenarios of use.
- Assess factors that will determine willingness to pay a price premium for a MAP product through interviews with major purchasers or procurers of MR vaccines and family planning products for and in LMICs (country Ministries of Health; donor and procurement agencies).
- Write a report on the business case and prepare a summary slide deck.
- Business case report for MR MAP & summary slide deck
- Business case report for hormonal contraceptive MAP & summary slide deck
Level of effort and timeline
- MR MAP business case: 40 days (Nov 2019-April 2020)
- Contraceptive MAP business case: 40 days (Nov 2019-April 2020)
- Timeline can be flexible if the same consultant is developing both business cases.