Internews is an international media development organization based in Arcata, CA and Washington, DC whose mission is to empower local media worldwide to give people the news and information they need, the ability to connect, and the means to make their voices heard. Internews has been working in South Sudan since 2006 to establish community radio stations across the country, and to train South Sudanese journalists to operate them.
The Operations Advisor works closely with the Deputy Chief of Party to ensure that adequate levels of operations support is provided to Internews personnel working in South Sudan. He/she assists the DCoP with the design of operations department systems, policies and procedures to ensure efficiency and effectiveness in the implementation of Internews programs across South Sudan. He/she contributes to the building of capacity of South Sudanese operations staff with a view to developing their skill sets to a level where they would be able to play significant roles in the implementation of future programs.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Ensure compliance with relevant donor and Internews requirements and regulations.
- Develop and implement industry best practices and standards, for logistics and procurement.
- Maintain oversight of the asset registry and overall inventory, including liaising with Internews HQ in accordance with organization policy.
- Provide support to Eye Media, TRC and HIS department heads pertaining to their individual and collective field activities, including station setups, construction, procurement and other activities.
- Management of all procurement staff and activities, including but not limited to import clearances, tax exemptions, vendor analysis and ensuring that all procurements are reasonable, allocable, and allowable.
- Oversee all office registration, station licenses and other required documentation is up to date and renewed on time.
- Track the renewal and procurement of contracts for recurring payments.
- Maintain key relationships with vendors and service providers both in and out of South Sudan.
- Support International travel request, tracking of trip identification numbers, booking of international flight bookings, and reviewing of expense reimbursement forms
- Ensure the proper submission and tracking of passport registration, visa and work permit processing.
- Coordinates with HQ to ensure the proper submission of procurement, contractual and auditable documentation and compliance with Internews policies and procedures
- Oversee that critical documents are being correctly filed with strong naming conventions in Egnyte.
- Provide support, training and mentoring staff as required.
- Directly supervise the logistics officer and other operational staff.
- Any other duties as assigned by the Deputy Chief of Party
- Understanding of and demonstrated commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values.
- At least 5+ years relevant experience.
- International project and contract management experience required, with familiarity with USAID rules and regulations.
- Extensive experience of working in challenging environments including conflict zones, specifically, experience living and working in African countries.
- Experience with USAID-funded projects highly desirable.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks efficiently and to work with a diverse staff.
- Strong organizational, time management and analytical skills.
- Experience in skills-building and training of other staff.
- Strong team player, inclusive management style, and motivational attitude.
- Must be computer literate (Excel, Word, Outlook, Internet).
- Previous experience coordinating logistics in South Sudan, or remote locations in Africa.
- Proven ability to handle sensitive, confidential materials in an appropriate manner.
- Must have initiative and attention to detail.
- Excellent communication skills.