The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people survive and rebuild their lives. The Garden City office of the IRC works with individuals from approximately 5 countries that speak more than 10 languages. IRC’s network of in-person professional interpreters helps ensure refugees are provided with adequate linguistic support during their resettlement. The Garden City office serves the communities of Garden City, Dodge City and Liberal, KS. Approximately 30% of IRC’s caseload is Somali-speaking.
The Somali Interpreter will provide interpretation to IRC Wichita clients who possess limited proficiency in English. These positions are part-time and offer only occasional hours.
- Provide interpretation services.
- Support IRC Wichita staff with interpretation support as they work with clients both in one-on-one and group settings.
- Attend job interviews, orientations, and various other appointments with clients and interpret important information into his/her native language.
- Provide clerical support and assist participants to complete basic forms.
- Support training staff with outreach efforts.
- Adhere to interpreter standards and ethics.
- Other tasks as assigned.
Skills and Abilities: Fluency or near-fluency in English and interpretation language(s). Language proficiency will be tested prior to hiring and candidate must score baseline score.
Education: Education in interpretation techniques a plus
Experience: Prior experience providing interpretive services strongly desired
Work Authorization: Must have authorization to work in the United State
Availability: Must be available to work during some normal business hours (M-F, 8:00 – 5:30)
Other: Must be a team player, detail oriented, patient, professional, and reliable. Some local travel required (must have valid KS Driver License and automobile insurance). Must reside within travel distance to the IRC office in Garden City, Dodge City or Liberal.