Scope of Work: Social Science Research Consultant
Title: Social Science Research Consultant
Div/Dept: Programs and Partnerships
Location: Washington, DC or Remote
Reporting Relationship: Senior Research Advisor
ChildFund International (ChildFund) is developing a research program to support thought leadership, visibility, business development, and overall, organizational knowledge development and learning. This research program includes both internal and external evidence synthesis, formative research, and other primary and secondary research studies.
The Social Science Research Consultant’s primary role will be to contribute to internal evidence synthesis activities through the review of ChildFund evidence reports (e.g., outcome and impact evaluation reports) and the development of an online repository of the evidence reports to support ChildFund’s research program and learning agenda.
The Social Science Research Consultant will also support the: a) design and conduct of quantitative and qualitative research synthesis and primary research studies (including literature reviews and program evaluations) and b) the generation of learning products, including technical reports, learning briefs, and journal publications.
- Collaboratively develops processes for and reviews and classifies ChildFund’s evidence reports.
- Assists in the organization and management of an online repository of evidence reports files and related information.
- Assists in the design and conduct of literature reviews and other quantitative and qualitative synthesis studies.
- Assists in the design and conduct of primary studies, including formative research studies and process and outcome evaluation studies.
- Assists in the development of learning products using the compiled evidence; learning products may include project summaries, learning briefs, conference presentations, and journal publications.
- Master’s degree in the social, behavioral, or applied health sciences that includes course work focused on research methods (ideally both qualitative and quantitative), literature review, statistics, and data analysis—or must possess the equivalent relevant work experience. Background (coursework, research, and/or direct field experience) in International study is a plus.
- Knowledge of research methods, including behavioral/social science experimental study design and threats to internal/external validity (required)
- Experience designing and conducting literature reviews (bibliographic database searches, review of articles, etc.) and/or research synthesis (systematic reviews) (required)
- Ability to assess the quality and rigor of individual research studies based on study design criteria (required)
- Experience writing reports on research studies (required)
- Advanced computer skills, with proficiency in using Microsoft Office suite applications, e.g. Word, Excel, and PowerPoint (required)
- Excellent oral and written communication and presentation skills (required)
- Experience with qualitative analysis software, e.g. NVIVO (desired)
- Experience with knowledge management systems and processes (desired)
- Experience using or knowledge of Microsoft’s SharePoint platform (desired)
- Ability to manipulate and analyze datasets in Microsoft Excel or one or more statistical analysis software packages, e.g. SPSS, STATA, SAS, R, etc. (desired)
January 2020 – June 30, 2020 (approximately 6 months, part-time). Approximately 10 to 15 hours per week.
The following milestones and target dates are provided here to guide the research consultancy process, – however, we anticipate some changes based on organizational priorities and timelines:
Finalize codebook/coding scheme for Evidence Repository
January 31, 2020
Review and code ChildFund evidence reports and populate the evidence repository with evidence from ChildFund’s 2013, 2016, and 2018 Impact Reports
March 31, 2020
Solicit and review/code new evidence reports from ChildFund Country Offices (COs)
Support the planning for and development of an online platform for the evidence repository
Provide support in the design and conduct of at least one synthesis or primary research study
May 31, 2020
Support the development of at least two learning products
June 30, 2020
LEVEL OF EFFORT AND PAYMENT SCHEDULE
- 15 to 20 hours per week at a rate of $20 per hour (up to $1,600 per month), for up to a total of 24 weeks (6 months) and $9,600. Payment for days-worked only.
- If remote, consultant may be asked to participate in up to two face to face meetings in DC, requiring the consultant to travel. Travel expenses for each meeting should be included in the consultant’s monthly invoice. Total travel budget would be up to $2,000 for travel for onsite meetings.
- Payment on monthly invoice by consultant.
|Country:||-- United States|
|City, State:||Washington, DC|