Brief description of the assignment: The consultant will provide support to EETC and in consultation with the Egyptian Electric Utility and Consumer Protection Agency (EgyptERA) on developing the Wholesale Public Trader (WPT). He is requested to develop an organization structure and the necessary governance of the WPT, taking into consideration the requirements stated in the executive regulations of the law 87/2015 and international experience of similar entities. He will develop a “Manual” for operation on how transactions as well as settlements will take place among stakeholders. The consultant will explore the possibility of outsourcing the settlement activities and provide his recommendations. He will develop the necessary Terms of Reference (ToR) for the outsourced entity. Also he will recommend the necessary qualifications of the working staff in the WPT and the needed capacity building.
The consultant will carry out interviews with the management as well as the relevant departments in EETC, the Egyptian Electricity Holding Company (EEHC) and EgyptERA. Also he will have interviews with the potential companies for outsourcing the clearing house services.
The consultant will review the electricity exchange prices, grid access tariffs, available contracts between electricity companies including generation transmission and distribution. Also he will review the current settlement practices, which is currently carried out by EEHC as well as the previously used charges model for settlements.
Also the consultant will review the following documents:
- Electricity Law 87/2015 and it executive regulations issued in 2016 on the WPT;
- Previous proposal made by EgyptERA onthe scope and design of the WPT;
- WB study for EgyptERA on the exchange prices in the regulated market among market participants.
Duration of the assignment: 50 working days between June – October 2020
Qualifications and skills:
– M. Sc. degree in relevant field (Accounting, finance, engineering or other relevant);
– Command of Arabic is an advantage and English language is a requirement.
General professional experience:
– Minimum 10 years of experience in the energy sector;
– Background on both regulated and liberalized energy markets.
Specific professional experience:
– Previous experience in an energy market operator;
– Experience in the field of settlement and clearing as well as automated clearing house, preferably in the energy sector;
– Insight into the Egyptian energy sector and ongoing energy transformation and market reform especially renewable energy sector.