Brief description of the assignment:
The overall objective is to improve public finance management in BiH by increasing expenditure effectiveness. Effective coordination is the core issue for the successful implementation of the budget process in BiH, especially for the Federation of Bosnia and Herzegovina (FBiH).
Strengthening public finance management system and to help BiH, authorities to improve the budget planning process, especially in the Federation of Bosnia and Herzegovina.
Results to be achieved
Result 1: Improved Programme Budgeting process and alignment with the mid-term policy planning process at all levels of government in BiH
This result is focused on improving the programme budgeting and medium-term budget planning, and on strengthening relations between them in the framework of the strategic planning. Achievements here will be ensured by changes in the legal framework, incorporated in the primary and secondary legislation, manuals and guidelines.
Interventions will be done in many areas of the PFM with objective to strengthen the programme budgeting and medium-term budget planning.
Objective and background of the assignment
Governments of BiH, with support of the European Union, have agreed to improve public finance management in BiH by increasing expenditure effectiveness. To achieve this objective the Project will provide technical support in order to improve programme budgeting process and alignment with the mid-term policy planning process at all levels of government in BiH.
The project is assigned a task to help BiH authorities to improve the budget planning process at level of Federation of Bosnia and Herzegovina (and its 10 cantonal governments) during 2020-2022.
In the Federation of BiH, at all levels of government (federal, cantonal, municipal), the program budget does not exist in all phases of the budget process, only in the phase of budget preparation but it is not represented in the phase of adoption, execution and reporting.
Under the guidance and supervision of Team Leader and Key Expert 3, the Senior Non-Key Expert will be responsible for achieving the Result 1: Improved programme budgeting process and alignment with the mid-term policy planning process at the level of Entity government of Federation of Bosnia and Herzegovina (and its 10 cantonal governments).
Scope of work
- Elaborate partial analytical inputs for the KEs to the gap analysis in the area of the budget primary and secondary legislation
- Prepare contributions to the amendments of the primary and secondary budget legislation
- Prepare contributions to the updating of the budget manuals for the programme budgeting and medium-term budget planning
- Analytical and methodological support for the KEs to the public policy budget planning system
- Analytical support for the KEs to the proposals of the programme structures changes in the budget users
- Guide and coordinate the Junior Non-Key Expert (JNKE) for the Result 1 at the level of FBiH
- Cooperation with the main beneficiary, budget users, stakeholders and other EU projects in achieving Results 1.
Commencement date of the project: 16 November 2020 (tentatively)
Duration of the assignment: 91 work days over 24 months
Qualifications and skills
- University Degree in economics, public administration, public finance management, law
- Fluency in written and oral English. Knowledge of Bosnian and/or Serbian and/or Croatian is an advantage
- Strong analytical and communication skills. Excellent interpersonal skills, an ability to work as part of a team, an aptitude to effectively transfer technical knowledge and maintain effective and cooperative relations with national authorities and donors, as well as capacity to handle sensitive issues with discretion in a multicultural environment
General professional experience
- Minimum of 7 years of professional experience in the field of public financial management
Specific professional experience
- At least 3 years of professional experience in program budgeting and medium-term strategic budget planning including all stages of budget process at the central and regional level of the public administration
- At least 3 years of professional experience in functional analysis in an area of budget process and functional review of inter institutional relations in the budget process
- Experience as senior expert in international projects providing advisory and/or technical assistance would be an asset (min. 2 international projects).
Note: Civil Servants and other staff of the public administration of the beneficiary country cannot be recruited as experts within six months after the finish of their government contract.