The USAID Bangladesh Ecosystems/Protibesh Activity is seeking a billable, short-term, team leader to lead a feasibility study on embankments of coastal Bangladesh. The 5-year, $20M cooperative agreement seeks to improve ecosystem conservation in Bangladesh by strengthening environmental governance and management, reducing key threats to biodiversity, and supporting market-based incentives in and around key biodiversity areas of the country. This position will be short-term from on/about December 2021 – June 2022 (seven months) and will be based in Dhaka, Bangladesh with regional travel as necessary.
Bangladesh is one of the most vulnerable countries to the adverse impacts of climate change that potentially impact lives and health of people, livelihoods, food, water, ecosystems, and security. The feasibility study will inform USAID and the Government of Bangladesh of the condition and status of existing embankments including their current hydrological and structural serviceability, as well as emerging needs. The study will identify possible alternatives including nature-based solutions to protect and preserve ecosystems, people, livelihoods, crops, and fresh water sources and other economic interests along the coastal zone of Bangladesh. The feasibility study will include a desk review of available information to document conditions of the existing embankments, projected hydrological variations due to environmental and climate factors and the level of protection provided by the existing embankment system in the coastal zone of Bangladesh. Additionally, it will share recommendations that can be alternatives to protect ecosystems, land, people, and their assets. We are looking for individuals who have a passion for making a difference in the lives of people around the world.
The team leader will lead the development and implementation of the task plan and schedule under the supervisor of the Protibesh COP and coordination with USAID.
- leads development and implementation of the task plan and schedule under the supervision of the Protibesh COP and in close coordination with USAID
- Manages feasibility study team including setting clear expectations and ensures timely and high-quality engagement and outputs of all team members
- Responsible for leading and delivering all deliverables and presentations
- Relevant degree(s) in areas such as coastal infrastructure, disaster preparedness, hydrology, civil engineering, climate resilience, green infrastructure/nature-based solutions;
- At least 5-8 years technical experience in coastal infrastructure, disaster preparedness, hydrology, civil engineering, climate resilience, green infrastructure/nature-based solutions or related
- Activity management experience
- Demonstrated leadership, versatility, and integrity
- Excellent English writing, report preparation, and presentation skills
Please send an email with your CV and cover letter attached and “Team Leader – Embankment Study” in the subject line to ProtibeshRecruit@chemonics.com by December 08, 2021 . No telephone inquiries, please. Chemonics will contact finalists.
Chemonics is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, age, or other legally protected characteristics. Military veterans, AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni are encouraged to apply.
Chemonics values the protection of your personal data. If you are in the European Union, please read our EU Recruiting Data Privacy Notice to learn how we process personal data. You may access the notice via the following link: https://chemonics.com/eu-recruiting-data-privacy-notice/.