The Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH was commissioned by the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) to expand the regional cooperation of the Global Programme Human Mobility in the Context of Climate Change (GP HMCCC) to the Horn of Africa Region. The HMCCC’s main goal is to improve applied knowledge relating to the sustainable management of human mobility in the context of climate change in the partner regions as well as in German and international cooperation.
Currently, there is very little data and no standardized methodology for modelling the impact of gradual climatic changes on human mobility in the Horn of Africa Region. In 2020, the GP HMCCC started a collaboration with the Intergovernmental Authority on Development (IGAD) with a specific focus on human mobility induced by, climate change-related, slow-onset events and changes (e.g. drought, water availability). The paucity of data limits IGAD’s capacity to support its member states implementing existing policies for mitigating drought impacts and managing human mobility.
This project has the following objectives:
- Data Compilation and Management: Improving the IGAD Climate Predictions and Applications Centre’s (ICPAC) access to data and its data base on human mobility associated with climate change-related slow-onset events and environmental changes (e.g. drought, water availability);
- Data Modelling: Developing a methodology for modelling migration patterns and displacements related to these slow-onset events and changes;
- Capacity Building: Strengthening ICPAC’s capacities to analyse and model shifting migration patterns and displacements related to these changes and developing actionable knowledge products that help translating analytical findings into policy recommendations for IGAD member states.
For the implementation of this project, GFA is looking for an Expert for a period of 106 working days. The Expert is expected to conduct the following tasks:
- Provide technical support with respect to data management and modelling
- Provide support to training development and implementation
- Provide support to workshop implementation
- Provide support to technical backstopping
The tasks include on site assignment in Nairobi (15 working days) if viable due to the COVID-19 related restrictions.
- Education/training: University qualification: Master’s or equivalent in statistics, population studies, social sciences, natural sciences, geography, political science or other study relevant to sector
- Language: English level C1 according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages
- General professional experience: 5 years of professional experience in a relevant scientific research, technological development and advanced training sector
- Specific professional experience: 5 years of work and research experience in quantitative data analysis and modelling in the fields of migration, displacement, climate change, natural hazards and disasters and/or environmental change
- Regional experience: 2 years of experience in projects in Africa
- Development Cooperation (DC) experience: 3 years of experience in DC projects
Ingrid Wawrzynowicz firstname.lastname@example.org