Rights Respected, People Protected
NRC in Syria
NRC is in Syria to support people affected by forced displacement (IDPs, returnees, host community etc.) so that they can have access to timely and effective assistance, to cope with the crisis and when the crisis ends return and rebuild their lives. Since the start of its activities in mid-2016 in Syria, NRC has reached with humanitarian assistance more than 360,000 people, out of which more than 150,000 reached in 2018 alone in the Governorates of Damascus, Aleppo and Rif Damascus.
NRC will continue to apply an integrated programming approach, where Education, capacity building, Shelter/WASH, and Food Security and Livelihoods (FSL) programmes work jointly to enable displacement-affected populations to meet their basic needs, enjoy their rights, and benefit from pathways to durable solutions.
The purpose of this position is to support the day-to-day implementation of the Shelter/NFI/WASH or related projects delivered by NRC in Northern Area.
Role Specific Information
- Project Cycle Management (PCM). Responsible for the successful implementation of all Shelter & WASH projects throughout the full project cycle. This includes:
- Project Implementation. Responsible for assuring the high quality implementation of all Shelter/NFI/WASH projects throughout the full project cycle. Depending on the needs of the successful project implementation, this includes: Solve persistent issues related to managerial issues, constantly monitor ongoing projects (staff, timeline & budget wise), and verify the integrity of invoices and periodic reports.
- Assessments. Responsible for planning & managing the Implementation of Shelter/NFI/WASH Area-Office-level needs assessment; Rapid Needs Assessments, Multi-Sector Needs Assessments (MSNAs), Detailed/Sectoral Assessments, construction/process-related assessments (preparation of Bill of quantities, drawings and other technical documents). This includes:
- Quality Programing. Responsible for supporting quality programing in accordance with the agreed NRC Syria Response Country and CC Strategies, tools and guidelines. This includes: Ensure the compliance of all Shelter & WASH projects with Housing, Land and Property requirements, and Meaningful consultation with affected populations throughout the project-cycle
- Project M&E. Responsible for supporting the M&E Unit in planning & managing (staff & timeline) in order to achieve accurate and high quality Monitoring and Evaluation activities in accordance with the Syria Response M&E Strategy, tools and guidelines. This includes:
- Protection Mainstreaming. Responsible for supporting the Protection Unit and more junior staff in protection mainstreaming in all Shelter/NFI/WASH or related activities throughout the project-cycle. All project activities will be conducted in accordance with the Protection Mainstreaming Strategy, tools and guidelines This includes:
- Reporting. Responsible for verifying accurate and high quality contributions made by M&E Unit to the reporting of NRC Shelter and WASH Area-level achievements through all relevant reporting mechanisms (internal reporting mechanisms, donor reports and inter-agency reporting of achievements e.g. 4Ws).
- Collaboration. The position-holder is responsible for maintaining a collaborative working environment with other team members (Shelter/NFI/WASH project team, other Core Competencies and the Support Team).
Our Ideal Candidate
- Bachelor Degree or above in Engineering (Civil, Architect, or equivalent) with a minimum of 7 years of work experience in similar field ; or Diploma Degree (intermediate institute) with a minimum of 9 years of work experience in similar field.
- Working in a humanitarian/recovery context or equivalent is a plus.
- Experience of working in complex and volatile contexts.
- Fluency in Arabic & English, both written and verbal.
- Knowledge of basic computer skills & MS Office software
- Skills in using project management, CAD, and other essential engineering software.
- Knowledge of the context in Syria
Contract period: Until the end of the year
Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s salary scale and terms and conditions