The Danish Refugee Council (DRC), one of the world’s leading NGOs, with a focus on responding to displacement, have been registered in Bangladesh since 2013. In 2017, in response to the Rohingya influx, DRC launched an integrated program of support to the government in site management, shelter/NFI and protection. In 2018, DRC started implementing aid projects in support of the host communities most affected by the influx of refugees. As a key part of this, DRC opened a main office in Cox’s Bazar, and a support/liaison office in Dhaka.
Plan, develop, monitor and evaluate the assigned shelter project(s) and Shelter care and maintenance materials distributions, assessing shelter needs, designing projects, writing proposals, initiating and effectively managing and reporting on the projects in line with the objectives, timeframe and budget. Provide technical support, leadership and strategic direction; meet quality standards in shelter delivery, encourage beneficiary participation, liaise with other stakeholders and manage and train shelter staff.Are of activities in Kutupalong and Balukhali refugee camps, Cox Bazar, as required.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITES
- Manage the assigned shelter project(s) in order to meet the project objectives within budget and within the allotted time frame.
- Provide strong leadership of the assigned shelter project(s), working to ensure both short and long-term positive impacts and outcomes for the beneficiaries, local authorities (where applicable) and local shelter staff.
- Develop and implement an appropriate and effective shelter strategy in consultation with other shelter staff and managers.
- Set clear objectives and indicators for shelter activities in collaboration with the shelter staff, field managers and, where appropriate, with the local communities.
- Continuously monitor and supervise shelter activities, overseeing the technical design and execution and evaluating progress through outputs and impacts using both quantitative and qualitative data.
- Line-manage the Shelter and Distributions staff of the assigned project(s), including day-to-day management, development and training, appraisals, etc.
- Facilitate regular meetings to assist information sharing between project staff, to ensure staff members are aware of project objectives and current work plans and to provide the opportunity for feedback.
- Provide coaching and technical supervision to staff in order to develop ownership and full responsibility for shelter activities.
- Manage the shelter budget for the assigned project(s) and ensure all expenses are according to budget and meet the DRC standards with regard to financial management, including accountability and good governance.
- Develop and maintain appropriate, regular, transparent and supportive communication structures with the assigned shelter team, DRC in-country and advisers and other relevant stakeholders (e.g. beneficiaries, community leaders, local and national government officials, UN agencies and other NGOs), with the objective of ensuring good cooperation and partnerships.
- Participate in shelter coordination meetings and other working groups or meetings as required, representing DRC and feeding back to the shelter staff and managers on relevant issues.
- Support and coordinate the logistics activities of shelter staff, particularly in relation to the purchasing of supplies, facilities construction contracts and equipment for the assigned shelter activities.
- Ensure shelter projects are implemented in line with donor proposals and requirements and in accordance with DRC, donor, country and international standards i.e. Sphere and HAP standards.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCES
- 5 years post-qualification professional experience in a relevant field. Good experience in private sector projects is desirable
- Daily update and management of data-gathering and tracking tools used to monitor the project;
- Excellent skills in Microsoft Office and CAD designing software
- Management expert in a construction context; technical construction skills within humanitarian setting. Experience working in shelter program in a developing country, preferably in a humanitarian context desirable.
- Excellent numerical, report writing and administration skills.
- Experience in training / mentoring / coaching staff.
- Advanced planning, assessment and analytical skills.
- Knowledge and understanding of humanitarian standards such as Sphere and HAP.
- Capacity to work under pressure and manage personal stress levels.
- Able to cope with basic living conditions in the field and during field trips.
- Degree– Higher level qualification in a technical field, preferably in civil engineering or in another relevant field such as architecture / engineering / construction management; BSc / BEng in a relevant field desirable.
- Language – English – required, Bengali –required, Chittagonian – (preferable)
All employees are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with DRC’s vision and values
- Type of contract: National
- Employment Band: F2
- Start date: February 2020
- Duty station: Cox’s Bazar
- Applications must be submitted through the mentioned link page by clicking on Apply Button.
- All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English.
- Mentioning two referees’ details with CV, where one must be from present or past employer (If Experienced) & another person can be your colleague.
Note: Applications sent by email will not be considered. In addition, DRC doesn’t charge any fee for any of its recruitment process & believes in equal opportunity in employment regardless.
Closing date for applications: 25th January 2020.
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please contact email@example.com. Due to the urgency of the position, DRC will review the applications on rolling basis.
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website: http://www.drc.ngo.