Shelter and Infrastructure Specialist ( Re-advertised 2)
Duty Station [Aden-Yemen]
Who are we?
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) has been providing relief and development services in the Horn of Africa since 1997. Using a protection of human rights framework, DRC has mainly focused on Somalis who are displaced by conflict. Programmers include protection, livelihood, food and NFI distribution, water and sanitation, and advocacy amongst others. DRC Yemen has been providing relief and development services in Yemen since 2008. DRC has mainly focused on refugees and migrants displaced by conflict and natural disasters.
DRC, through its specialized business unit, Danish Demining Group (DDG) aims to recreate a safe environment where people can live without the threat of landmines, unexploded ordinances and small arms and light weapons”. These goals can be effectively advanced through cooperation and joint action with other organization as well as with integration of operations and programs with its sister organization, DRC.
About the job:
Overall purpose of the role
• Functions as a specialist within sector area in the area of intervention.
• Delivers organization’s policies and programmes within both sectors.
Facilitation and training of communal management/coordination groups (in-camp management /committees, local authorities, etc.), facilitation and funding of community development plans, initiatives for disaster risk reduction at community level.
Specific WASH responsibilities: Emergency water supply, hygiene item distribution, hygiene information and education, construction of latrines, sewage solutions, installation water points, wells and water storage. Water purification.
Specific Shelter responsibilities: Provision of emergency & transitional shelter, emergency cash grants, rehabilitation of shelter, provision of physical infrastructure like roads, bridges, community centres, irrigation systems or other community structures
Duties and Responsibilities
•Technical management of sector projects
•Identify priorities and technically assist the projects
• Monitoring, reporting and development
• Develop program monitoring tools
• Quality control and site monitoring to ensure that services provided are according standards
• Program monitoring as per expected outputs and outcomes
• Monitor financial spending and budgets
• Write donor and management reports
• Continuously update project documentation and files
• Explore new business and partnerships.
• Work closely with Country Directors, Area Managers, and the Grants unit to develop quality proposals, concept notes and budget
• Develop and undertake needs assessments to inform program design and strategic direction. Conduct frequent rapid needs assessment of the situation in the event of emergency in collaboration with other stakeholders to address related problems
• Build capacity of DRC national staff
• External coordination and representation
• Share relevant project information with stakeholders
• Participate in relevant coordination meetings
• Participate in Refugees Task Force meeting as needed
To be successful in this role you must have:
Experience and technical competencies:
- relevant NGO experience is a preferable.
- Minimum 5 years of practical experience in Shelter and Infrastructure sector working for an INGO
- Documented skills in project planning and design, drafting, calculation and technical writing
- Excellent skill in MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Experience in project development
- Experience working with national partners, local/government authorities, and UN organisations
- Full professional proficiency in English
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with our vision and values.
Moreover, we also expect the following:
• Master’s degree in civil engineering, water engineering or other relevant field
DRC will offer the successful applicant a one year contract, renewable dependent on both funding and performance. You must be available to start work As soon as possible, and be willing and able to work in Yemen – Aden.
Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Expatriate Terms of Employment. This position will be placed at Band (G Non- Manager).
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications close 28 June 2020.
Need further information?
For more details on this position, please contact email@example.com.
Please note that applications sent directly to [firstname.lastname@example.org] will not be considered.
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website http://www.drc.ngo