Global Communities is an international development non-profit organization. Our mission is to create long-lasting, positive and community-led change that improves the lives and livelihoods of vulnerable people across the globe.
Global Communities, in partnership with Management Systems International, is designing and implementing a pilot program to develop a model for holistic support to Sexual and Gender-Based Violence (SGBV) survivors. The program will work in partnership with existing community structures and strengthen the legal, health-related and psychosocial services for survivors of SGBV.
The program will be located in Nineveh Governorate, with an additional office in Erbil. The program may expand into other regions based on donor and contextual needs.
Global Communities seeks an experienced SGBV Program Coordinator for a holistic prevention and support programs in Nineveh Governorate, with possible additional program sites identified in the future. This position reports to the Senior Technical Advisor, SGBV.
We anticipate that the assignment will begin early to mid-November 2018.
- Participate in critical start-up activities, including service mapping, rapid needs assessments, and community and stakeholder engagement.
- Coordinate and contribute to quarterly reviews and revisions of service mapping to ensure currency.
- Contribute to strategic analyses of findings and recommend program priorities and appropriate technical initiatives.
- Support the implementation of SGBV prevention and support programs, including child protection and child survivor program components as appropriate.
- Coordinate and contribute to program work planning, including technical activities and budget, processes.
- Coordinate and contribute to program design, implementation, and monitoring processes, including identification of key learning questions.
- Apply conflict-sensitive approaches are integrated throughout start-up, implementation and program delivery; foster formal and informal mechanisms to maintain situational awareness to understand emerging needs as well as potential threats to the program staff or beneficiary safety.
- Collaborate with the Senior Technical Advisor, SGBV to ensure that key stakeholders and groups, particularly men and community leaders, are effectively engaged to support program activities and are reached with prevention messaging and support services.
- Represent the program in key coordination mechanisms and working groups, as requested
- Liaise with other implementers, donors and potential stakeholders to share knowledge, discuss best practices and learnings, and limit duplication of interventions, as requested.
- Perform any other tasks as required by the program.
- University degree in gender studies, international development, social work or other social sciences, community health, international law, human rights or related fields.
- At least 5 years of experience implementing donor-funded humanitarian and recovery programs in Iraq; experience with integrated and holistic SGBV programs preferred.
- Understanding of long-standing and conflict-related drivers of SGBV in Iraq, particularly Nineveh.
- Exceptional poise and diplomacy in engaging with diverse communities and stakeholders and obtaining buy-in and commitment to support program objectives.
- Knowledge of protection issues in complex humanitarian environments, particularly post-conflict settings.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English and verbal fluency in Arabic are required. This position is open to Iraqi nationals and residents of Iraq authorized to work in that country.
No expat allowances have been budgeted for this position.
Residents of northern Iraq are strongly encouraged to apply.