Reports to: Senior Director, Business Development
Department: Business Development
Date: January 10, 2017
Function of the Position:
The Business Development Unit within DAI is seeking a business development professional who can write, manage, and support priority bids in response to USAID RFPs. The Senior/Principal Technical Writer will provide counsel, advice, and quality control on those efforts, from pre-positioning to proposal execution. S/he will serve as a sounding board for proposal teams in developing cogent, winning approaches during all stages of proposal development. The candidate will contribute to technical incubators and review teams to ensure development of high-quality proposal submissions and troubleshoot where necessary. The Senior/Principal Technical Writer will report to the Senior Director, Business Development.
Specific roles include, but are not limited to, the following:
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Take a leading role—writing or managing—on up to six bids per year across DAI’s sectors and geographies.
- Develop preliminary strategies for RFP releases based on the client goals and objectives, inclusive of, but not limited to, determining initial pricing, identifying internal and external resources needed, and planning teaming strategies;
- Lead reconnaissance efforts before and after RFP issuance, traveling on marketing missions/trips and participating in regional/industry events;
- Define a winning vision and approach that are responsive to RFPs, ensuring that the proposals clearly and accurately convey the strategies to the technical evaluation committee;
- Develop clear and effective proposal outlines, communicating expectations with other technical writers for ensuring that the outline objectives are met;
- Work closely with technical staff to develop effective technical proposals that demonstrate DAI’s capability to implement the proposed projects;
- Mentor and guide less-experienced staff through the proposal process;
- Complete and deliver other related responsibilities as assigned.
Additional responsibilities as deemed necessary.
- Grade 10: 9 years’ experience in business development, international development, or related field, and a bachelor’s degree; or 7 years’ experience in business development, international development, or related field and a master’s degree
- Grade 11: 11 years’ experience in business development, international development, or related field, and a bachelor’s degree; or 9 years’ experience in business development, international development, or related field and a master’s degree.
- Knowledge of USAID proposal writing and/or procurement.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
Equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered.
- Field (overseas) experience
- Deep knowledge of technical content in at least one of DAI’s sectors (Economic Growth, Governance, Environment)
- Marketing experience
- Language proficiency in Spanish or French
Supervisory Requirements: N/A.
DAI is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer with a commitment to diversity. All individuals, regardless of personal characteristics, are encouraged to apply. EOE – Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans