Senior Technical Advisor, SRH Strategic Evidence and Learning
Department: Sexual Reproductive Health (SRH)
Reports to: Deputy Director, SRH
*Must be authorized to work in country of hire.
Who we are
Population Services International (PSI) is the world’s leading non-profit social marketing organization. We are a diverse group of over 5,000 entrepreneurial development professionals located in over 40 countries committed to making it easier for all people to lead healthier lives and plan the families they desire. PSI is using it’s global presence and 50+ years of experience to help reimagine healthcare. We are working to shape market systems, shift policy and funding, and strengthen global capacity to better support consumer empowered healthcare.
The Sexual and Reproductive Health Department supports programs in 37 countries (and counting) to deliver high-quality sexual reproductive health and rights programs to women, men, girls and boys. PSI believes all people can and should have control of their sexuality, sexual health and fertility. This is best achieved when people have greater voice, choice and agency over the processes and services that most affect them. PSI’s global goals drive toward ensuring universal access to sexual and reproductive health services. Our approach is grounded in ensuring that the rights of the consumer are protected and promoted so that everyone has access to quality care and comprehensive information without discrimination of any kind.
We are looking for a Senior Technical Advisor to drive PSI’s global strategic evidence agenda for sexual and reproductive health and rights (SRHR) and steer cross-cutting evidence and learning priorities across global and bilateral projects and initiatives. This position will collaborate with senior SRH leaders to shape PSI’s vision and provide the technical direction, oversight, and quality assurance for research, learning, evaluation and monitoring activities to bring that vision to life.
PSI is seeking a skilled, creative and dynamic candidate with diversity of experience and historical success conducting and supervising research projects in related fields, demonstrated interest in and understanding of the causes of inequitable access to and uptake of SRHR, a track record of participation in key technical working groups engaged in shaping the SRHR evidence agenda and/or implementation science/policy making/programmatic approaches, and demonstrated experience using evidence for decision-making and program learning. In addition, candidates should have experience in designing and implementing program learning agendas, analyzing rigorous quantitative and qualitative research, have strong communication and technical writing skills, and a record of capacity building. A key to success of this position will require working with and through evidence leads of global SRH projects and initiatives to ensure a cohesive approach to SRH Evidence and Learning.
Sound like you? Read on.
Provide Strategic Leadership
Provides strategic technical leadership and expertise to grow and/or amplify the evidence base for what works (and what doesn’t!) in advancing the global SRHR agenda and PSI’s unique contributions. This includes identifying emerging priorities within PSI and the global SRHR community to generate evidence and insights; aligning PSI’s global strategic evidence agenda with internal and external SRHR knowledge gaps; identifying and nurturing opportunities for evidence and learning through global and bilateral projects and initiatives; and elevating global project and bilateral insights relevant for program implementation and learnings. The successful candidate will also provide strategic technical guidance in support of the development of research and learning agendas for global projects in collaboration with Global Project Evidence Leads and in alignment with PSI’s strategic evidence agenda.
Ensure Technical Excellence in Research Planning and Execution
Provide high quality conceptual development and oversight of research processes and products for internal and external purposes; this may include rigorous technical oversight of strategic and innovative research initiatives in partnership with Global Project Teams, the Strategy & Insights Department, Country teams and other relevant PSI departments to reflect best-practice and most promising scientific approaches. The Sr SRH Evidence and Learning Advisor will ensure SRH research process are carried out in adherence to PSI’s ethical and data protection policy compliance requirements.
Elevate PSI’s Commitment to Insights-driven Solutions
Collaborate with SRHR senior leadership, PSI’s Strategy and Insights Department and country teams to contribute to PSI’s external thought leadership with a focus on sharing SRHR evidence and insights. This includes participating in key external working groups and advisory panels aligned with strategic evidence priorities; strengthening and nurturing relationships with relevant academic and research institutions, NGOs, donors and other relevant stakeholders within the global community of practice; and engaging strategic partners in collaborative research and learning initiatives. This person will also provide global oversight of abstract submission and presentations for conferences such as the International Conference of Family Planning.
Contribute to Global Fundraising
Provide strategic guidance and technical inputs for fundraising efforts in SRHR; identify funding opportunities; contribute ideas and concepts for future funding opportunities.
Foster Internal Relationships, Capacity Development and Knowledge Transfer
Work with and through MERL leads within the SRH Department to create an internal community of practice for PSI’s SRH evidence agenda. The Senior Technical Advisor will also foster a close relationship with PSI’s Global Strategic Insights and health area evidence and learning teams to ensure that network members receive appropriate technical support, learn from global trends in research, and contribute to PSI’s knowledge base and strategic research agenda with their research products.
What are we looking for?
- Master’s degree in public health, epidemiology, behavioral sciences, populated studies/demography, or a related field required. PhD / Dr preferred. Equivalent combination of relevant education and experience may be substituted
- At least eight years of professional experience in applied research, monitoring, learning and evaluation pertaining to sexual and reproductive health, including field experience in Africa.
- Ability to manage multiple research studies from the study design phase through to dissemination, including internal oversight and quality assurance for work performed by external research agencies or providers
- Strong technical writing skills
- Track record of taking research to completion such as peer reviewed publications, presentations in national/regional/global fora, and technical guidelines or policy papers.
- Demonstrated ability to design, analyze, disseminate, and manage qualitative and quantitative research.
- Experience analyzing quantitative research in Stata software, including analysis of DHS data and experience analyzing qualitative data using software (e.g., n-Vivo, Atlas TI, Dedoose, or similar program)
- Experience in designing, fielding and monitoring quality of data collected through mobile devices. Experience with SurveyCTO or similar platform.
- Ability to translate insights into programmatic actions and experience in adaptative implementation.
- Proven experience in successfully building capacity of and mentoring researchers and learning advisors
- Ability to develop partnerships with internal senior management, program and technical teams, external stakeholders, and donors
- Experience managing multiple studies and teams in challenging, resource constrained environments
- Extensive familiarity with research ethics procedures and submission of studies to local and international IRB boards
- Experience developing M&E plans, logical frameworks, adaptive implementation plans and contributing to new business development
- Familiarity with donors such as USAID, the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, FCDO, CIFF and others
- Excellent writing and communication skills in English.
- References will be required.
- The successful candidate will be required to pass a background check.
What gets us excited?
- Experience in safe abortion research
- Experience implementing SRH programs
- French language skills
The candidate we hire will embody PSI’s corporate values:
Collaboration: You can work independently, but thrive within a team.
Trust: You trust that your manager and team will have your back and care deeply about gaining that same trust from your teammates
Pragmatism: You dive in and maintain momentum even when things are ambiguous and you don’t let perfect get in the way of good enough.
Honesty: You aren’t afraid to speak up and speak your mind.
Measurement: You set clear and challenging goals and hold yourself accountable to driving measurable results.
Commitment: You’re independent and a free thinker, but you’re ready to buy in to the direction of the team and commit to its success.
PSI is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from qualified individuals regardless of actual or perceived race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, personal appearance, matriculation, political affiliation, family status or responsibilities, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, childbirth, related medical conditions or breastfeeding, genetic information, amnesty, veteran, special disabled veteran or uniform service member status or employment status.
ACCESSIBILITY NOTICE: If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process due to a physical or mental disability, please send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org or call (202)785-0072.