Global Communities is an international development non-profit organization. Our mission is to create long-lasting, positive and community-led change that improves the lives and livelihoods of vulnerable people across the globe.
Global Communities, in partnership with Management Systems International, is designing and implementing a pilot program to develop a model for holistic support to Sexual and Gender-Based Violence (SGBV) survivors in northern Iraq. The program will work in partnership with existing community structures and strengthen the legal, health-related and psychosocial services for survivors of SGBV.
The program will be located in Nineveh Governorate, with an additional office in Erbil. The program may expand into other regions based on donor and contextual needs.
Global Communities seeks an experienced Senior Technical Advisor, SGBV to design and implement holistic prevention and support programs in Nineveh Governorate, with possible additional program sites identified in the future. This position reports to the COP/Team Lead.
We anticipate that the assignment will begin early to mid-November 2018.
- Work closely with the STTA SGBV Advisor during start-up and, on a more limited basis, throughout the first year of the program.
- Participate in critical start-up activities, including service mapping, rapid needs assessments, and community and stakeholder engagement.
- Conduct quarterly reviews and revisions of service mapping to ensure currency.
- Provide strategic analysis of findings and recommend program priorities and appropriate technical initiatives.
- Lead design and implementation of SGBV prevention and support programs, including child protection and child survivor program components as appropriate.
- Lead program work planning, including technical activities and budget.
- Lead program design, implementation, and monitoring, including identification of key learning questions.
- Ensure that conflict-sensitive approaches are integrated throughout start-up, implementation and program delivery; foster formal and informal mechanisms to maintain situational awareness to understand emerging needs as well as potential threats to the program staff or beneficiary safety.
- Manage one SGBV Program Coordinator, working collaboratively to ensure that key stakeholders and groups are effectively reached with prevention messaging and support services.
- Represent the program in key coordination mechanisms and working groups.
- Liaise with other implementers, donors and potential stakeholders to share knowledge, discuss best practices and learnings, and limit duplication of interventions.
- Perform any other tasks as required by the program.
- University degree in gender studies, social work or other social sciences, community health, international law, human rights or related fields.
- Minimum 10 years of progressively responsible experience implementing integrated and holistic SGBV programs in humanitarian / post-conflict settings.
- Significant experience working and living in Iraq.
- Awareness and demonstrable knowledge of long-standing and conflict-related drivers of SGBV in Iraq, particularly Nineveh, and ability to describe and design context-specific prevention and response actions.
- Exceptional poise and diplomacy in engaging with diverse communities and stakeholders and obtaining buy-in and commitment to support program objectives.
- Demonstrable knowledge of protection issues in complex humanitarian environments, particularly post-conflict settings.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English and verbal fluency in Arabic are required. .
This position is open to Iraqi nationals and residents of Iraq authorized to work in that country. No expat allowances have been budgeted for this position.
Residents of northern Iraq are strongly encouraged to apply.