Internews is seeking a Senior Technical Advisor for ongoing and potential USAID-funded media support projects in Myanmar. The Senior Technical Advisor provides technical expertise on journalist safety, press freedom and digital and physical security. The Senior Technical Advisor is responsible for capacity building of Myanmar media partners in all areas of media from information ecosystems development to journalism training and content production. The Senior Technical Advisor will report to the Country Director and support the execution of relevant project activities, monitoring and evaluation and reporting in order to meet project objectives,
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Provide support to the Country Director to inform the technical selection criteria and provision of technical support on journalist safety, press freedom and digital and physical security.
- Provide technical expertise on design of relevant trainings, mentoring programs, and/or consultations to local media outlets to produce engaging, quality reporting that holds government to account
- Support regular progress reporting and the collection and analysis of monitoring and evaluation data on the results and impact of program support.
- Nurture relationships with media outlets, research institutions, media literacy initiatives, and media support organizations in the region.
- Develop and maintain understanding of issues affecting both the media community and the media development community in Myanmar, including security and political factors.
- Technical support, guidance and mentoring to media partners on topics related to journalist safety, press freedom and digital and physical security.
- Ensure all projects’ deliverables are completed according to agreed timeline and budgets.
- Develop the terms of reference for international and national consultants carrying out specific components of the projects.
- Managing risk and security during the implementation of the project, including the development of contingency plans.
- Support the Country Director in ensuring the projects comply with all administrative requirements, donors’ regulations (including branding and marking), laws including local laws and requirements for local staff.
- Ensuring timely reporting of activities to Country Director and effective collaboration with relevant Internews staff.
- Support strategic communications efforts of Internews in coordination with the Country Director to promote and publicize Internews activities.
- Liaise with Director of Finance and HR in raising all PSCs and tracking through to final payment of invoices.
- Understanding of and demonstrated commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values.
- Experience managing USG funded media projects in complex development environments, preferably in Southeast Asia
- Demonstrated expertise in digital security and journalist safety, including experience using digital security tools and platforms such as encryption, IP blockers, VPNs and Tor.
- Proven news management experience
- Experience in journalism training and production
- Experience working with Myanmar media, preferably in-country
- Strong critical thinking and writing skills; excellent communication skills
- Experience creating and managing budgets; Sub-grants management experience a plus
- Significant ability to analyze and interpret media trends
- Thorough understanding of the technical, political and social, issues specific to Myanmar
- International experience training and mentoring journalists or journalism students, as well as in developing training curriculum
- Proven interpersonal and networking skills with international organizations and donors
- Team-building skills and the ability to manage a diverse staff
This position is being offered and hired by Internews Network. Benefits will be consistent with Internews Network’s offerings and will be reviewed during the hiring process. Additional information can be found on our About Working for Internews page.