Job Title: Senior Technical Advisor, Cote d’Ivoire (CDI) Bilateral Malaria Project
Department: Francophone Africa, PSI/CDI*
Based in Abidjan, Cote d’Ivoire
Reports to Chief of Party, Bilateral Malaria Project
*Contingent upon funding
Who we are
With over 50 years of experience, working in over 60 countries, Population Services International (PSI) is the world’s leading non-profit social marketing organization. PSI is reimagining healthcare, by putting the consumer at the center, and wherever possible – bringing care to the front door. We are working to fix market failures, shape future health markets and shift policy and funding to better support consumer empowered healthcare.
There are over 7,000 “PSI’ers” around the world. We are a diverse group of entrepreneurial development professionals with a wide range of backgrounds and experience. All with unique skills that we bring to the critically important work that we do
PSI seeks a Senior Technical Advisor to provide technical guidance on the design, introduction, and implementation of malaria control and elimination strategies under an anticipated 5-year USAID/PMI-funded project with PSI/Cote d’Ivoire. The project anticipates supporting components of malaria diagnosis and treatment (clinical and community), distribution and promotion of use of ITNs (mass and routine), and health behavior change interventions in 40 districts in eastern CDI.
Since 1991, PSI/Côte d’Ivoire has worked collaboratively with clients and government stakeholders to develop and accelerate the health market to offer solutions that best meets their needs. Since 2018, PSI’s malaria work in Cote d’Ivoire has focused on supporting the PMI Impact Malaria project. The PSI-led consortium supports the National Malaria Control Program (NMCP) in implementing malaria service delivery activities across 12 health regions. This includes multi-disciplinary support at all levels of the health system including case management and malaria in pregnancy at the health facility level and community level, malaria microscopy activities, embedded regional technical advisors at district level, and supporting the NMCP on national level malaria activities.
Sound like you? Read on.
The Senior Technical Advisor will be responsible for providing technical guidance on design, introduction, and implementation of malaria control and elimination strategies under the USAID/PMI Cote d’Ivoire Bilateral Malaria Project. PSI anticipates the project will provide technical assistance to the National Malaria Control Program and Government of Cote d’Ivoire to implement malaria vector control, service delivery, surveillance, social and behavior change, and operational research.
The Senior Technical Advisor will be responsible for supporting the COP to ensure that project activities are implemented according to international and national guidelines and best practices. The Senior Technical Advisor will also be responsible for ensuring quality of malaria control strategies implemented by the project. The Senior Technical Advisor will also be responsible for strengthening the technical capacity of national programming, program staff, and any sub-partners.
Under the supervision of the COP and in line with Government of Cote d’Ivoire, USAID and PSI policies, guidelines and best practices, the Senior Technical Advisor will be responsible for:
- Developing analytically sound and comprehensive reports on the design, introduction, and implementation of malaria control and elimination strategies in Cote d’Ivoire, in line with national program strategies and guidelines.
- Supporting coordination mechanisms across consortium partners to ensure adherence to Ivoirian and global guidelines and best practices for malaria control and elimination, and responsiveness to the National Malaria Control Program.
- Mentoring internal project and external program staff in Cote d’Ivoire and global best practices in malaria control and elimination.
- Ensuring that project activities are implemented in line with Ivorian program strategies, guidelines and plans, and WHO guidelines and best practices for malaria control and elimination.
- Monitoring the publication of new evidence at the global and regional level on malaria control strategies.
- Continuously building the capacity and knowledge of program staff.
- Developing partnerships and relationships with key in-country, regional and global technical stakeholders and thought leaders.
- Support the project team to prepare annual work plans and reports.
- Collect, distill, and disseminate malaria control and elimination best practices to inform the broader community of practice.
What are we looking for?
The candidate we hire will embody PSI’s corporate values:
Collaboration: You can work independently, but thrive within a team.
Trust: You trust that your manager and team will have your back and care deeply about gaining that same trust from your teammates
Pragmatism: You dive in and maintain momentum even when things are ambiguous and you don’t let perfect get in the way of good enough.
Honesty: You aren’t afraid to speak up and speak your mind.
Measurement: You set clear and challenging goals and hold yourself accountable to driving measurable results.
Commitment: You’re independent and a free thinker, but you’re ready to buy in to the direction of the team and commit to its success.
Master’s degree in public health, epidemiology, or equivalent field. Doctorate or Medical Degree an advantage.
- At least 7 years’ experience working on malaria control, preferably in Cote d’Ivoire
- Demonstrated global malaria technical knowledge with established reputation for excellence in malaria control and elimination. Familiarity with the Cote Ivoirian MoHCC and National Malaria Control Program strategies, priorities, and approaches a plus.
- Ability to coordinate and work effectively with diverse stakeholders in numerous locations and levels, including private partners, donors, government officials and bodies, technical experts, civil society organizations, community members and organizations and project support staff.
- Demonstrated knowledge of malaria control and experience in managing a malaria program.
- Sound technical knowledge of malaria and vector control policy and context in Cote d’Ivoire or another similar context
- Experience mentoring others in best practices and the development of malaria control and elimination strategies
- Excellent writing and presentation abilities.
- Fluent in French (spoken and written) and have basic competency in English
- Strong preference for citizen of Cote d’Ivoire
- References will be required.
- The successful candidate will be required to pass a background check.
PSI is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from qualified individuals regardless of actual or perceived race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, personal appearance, matriculation, political affiliation, family status or responsibilities, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, childbirth, related medical conditions or breastfeeding, genetic information, amnesty, veteran, special disabled veteran or uniform service member status or employment status.
ACCESSIBILITY NOTICE: If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process due to a physical or mental disability, please send an email to: email@example.com or call (202)785-0072.