NOTE: Position is contingent upon contract award to PATH.
PATH is currently seeking a qualified Senor Technical Advisor – Data Use for an upcoming five-year USAID-funded “Supporting the Electronic Information Systems in Ethiopia to Improve Health Outcomes” program. The project’s goal is to provide technical assistance and other services for the implementation of the Electronic Health Information Systems (eHIS) Activity to support the Government of Ethiopia (GOE) to improve the quality of health service and create a sustainable health care system through use of data for decision making and for providing similar services and deliverables to other countries in Africa or to respond to a crisis in Ethiopia.
PATH is a global organization that works to accelerate health equity by bringing together public institutions, businesses, social enterprises, and investors to solve the world’s most pressing health challenges. With expertise in science, health, economics, technology, advocacy, and dozens of other specialties, PATH develops and scales solutions—including vaccines, drugs, devices, diagnostics, and innovative approaches to strengthening health systems worldwide. International development and global health represent one of the greatest opportunities for the impact of digital technologies on a global scale. New technologies, approaches and tools are emerging daily, unfortunately into a fragmented and immature digital health market landscape that currently limits their promise to transform country health systems and accelerate and amplify progress towards national and global health goals.
The Senior Technical Advisor – Data Use will be responsible for providing technical leadership for the cultural transformation of data use for decision making activities. This role will be responsible for identifying strategies that will help facilitate behavior change in healthcare workers at all levels to utilize data to take evidence-based actions using high-quality data. The Senior Technical Advisor will also be asked to provide technical input on data use tools, including but not limited to, input on reporting structures to encourage high rates of data quality and use. They will also be responsible for monitoring data flow and data quality from the point of collection. The ideal candidate will have working knowledge and expertise in data management and data analysis and visualization.
- Lead the identification, testing and development of data use interventions to facilitate cost effective and sustainable data use in the health sector.
- Provide strategic technical guidance and direction to the project in collaboration with partners to ensure alignment with the latest technical information, evidence and approaches in the data use field.
- Support the FMOH in coordinating the design, testing and development of interventions to foster behavior change on the use of data for evidence-based actions.
- Work in close collaboration with other partners to influence the use of data for early detection of epidemics at all levels.
- Support the development and field testing of new tools, curricula and methods for improving the use of data, especially the integration of information, communication and technology (ICT) approaches into the data use aspects.
- Identify data use champions and further train and develop their capacity as leaders for improving data use.
- Work with stakeholders to identify key programmatic decisions, conduct data analysis, and disseminate the data using audience-appropriate communications strategy.
- Provide technical support in the development of scaled and sustainable strategies to conduct basic data analysis, synthesize and visualize data, and communicate findings.
- Develop data use tools and approaches to address identified data and information needs.
- Support the development of approaches to apply data use tools, trouble shoot and tailor implementation as needed.
- Build capacity of training institutions on data use practices for sustainability of data use practices in the country.