Close relatives1 of ADB staff, except spouses of international staff, are not eligible for recruitment and appointment to staff positions. Applicants are expected to disclose if they have any relative/s by consanguinity/blood, by adoption and/or by affinity/marriage presently employed in ADB.
1Close relatives refer to spouse, children, mother, father, brother and sister, niece, nephew, aunt and uncle
Staff on probation are not eligible to apply. Applicants for promotion must have served at their position for at least one year and must have normally served at their personal level for at least two years immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date. Applicants for lateral transfer must have served at their position and personal level for at least one year immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date (reference A.O. 2.03, paragraphs 5.8 and 5.9).
In the event that the staff appointed to a new category (i.e. from AS to NS, or from NS to IS) is rated at 2 or lower in the first two performance reviews after appointment at the new level, they will return to the level occupied immediately prior to their appointment in the new category.
Asian Development Bank (ADB) is an international development finance institution headquartered in Manila, Philippines and is composed of 68 members, 49 of which are from the Asia and Pacific region. ADB is committed to achieving a prosperous, inclusive, resilient, and sustainable Asia and the Pacific, while sustaining its efforts to eradicate extreme poverty. ADB combines finance, knowledge, and partnerships to fulfill its expanded vision under its Strategy 2030.
ADB only hires nationals of its 68 members.
To view ADB Organizational Chart, please click here.
The Senior Social Development Specialist (Civil Society Participation) will support and provide guidance to ADB operations to engage with civil society organizations (CSOs) effectively by building ADB’s institutional capacity to share knowledge and collaborate productively with civil society. The incumbent will report to Principal Social Development Specialist (NGO and Civil Society Center) and will supervise national and administrative staff.
• Provide expertise in the area of ADB-Government-CSO cooperation in reducing poverty in Asia and the Pacific through the provision of direct and corporate support to ADB’s operations in working with CSOs.
• Strengthen and support the role of the NGO and Civil Society Center (NGOC) and the internal ADB-wide CSO Cooperation Network, comprising of CSO Anchors in operations departments and key departments engaging with CSOs, in integrating CSO participation in ADB operations.
• Lead the development and management of knowledge products in improving and deepening ADB-CSO cooperation which include integration of CSO knowledge and expertise into ADB operations.
• Support ADB departments and offices in the application of appropriate participation methodologies, strategies, and techniques which enhance CSO’s participation in ADB strategic operational support.
• Lead the design and implementation of developing member country (DMC) and ADB’s institutional capacity building in close cooperation with CSOs.
• Lead the identification, processing and administering of NGOC’s technical assistance by working within ADB’s general policies, principles and business processes.
• Strengthen and support CSO capacity to work more effectively and efficiently with ADB and DMCs under One ADB approach.
• Engage CSOs in continuing dialogue by developing strategic partnerships between ADB and CSOs.
Relevant Experience & Requirements
• Master’s degree, or equivalent, in Social Sciences, Public Policy Development Studies/Economics, or related fields. University degree in Social Sciences, Public Policy Development Studies/Economics, or related fields, combined with specialized experience in similar organization/s, may be considered in lieu of a Master’s degree.
• At least 10 years of direct relevant professional experience, including recent experience working for CSOs. Strong understanding of where and how CSOs may contribute to ADB operations, with up-to-date and in-depth knowledge in concepts and practices related to ADB-CSO cooperation in Asia and the Pacific.
• Proven operational competence in project design, implementation, financial management, monitoring, and evaluation of development projects. Knowledge of ADB business processes and experience in developing and administering ADB technical assistance and ADB Loan and Grants an advantage. Experience in CSO contracting and partnership agreements, CSO-capacity building, CSO-networking and ADB-government-CSO engagement policies and practices. Has up-to-date knowledge in concepts and practices related to CSO engagement and experience in training staff and government officials in CSO engagement in development operations.
• International experience working in development in several countries, and comprehensive understanding of social and cultural environments, including field exposure, in several Asian and the Pacific countries. Has networking experience with Governments, multilateral development banks, United Nations, donor agencies, philanthropic organizations, international policy/advocacy CSOs, and the private sector in the fields relevant to the position.
• Ability to liaise and engage effectively with ADB Board, Management and senior staff, and advocacy NGOs. Strong analytical and problem-solving skills. Excellent oral and written communication skills in English.
• Please refer to the ADB Competency Framework for International Staff Level 5.
The selected candidate, if new to ADB, is appointed for an initial term of 3 years.
ADB offers competitive remuneration and a comprehensive benefits package. Actual appointment salary will be based on ADB’s standards and computation, taking into account the selected individual’s qualifications and experience.
ADB seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities to work in an inclusive environment. ADB encourages all qualified candidates to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. Women are highly encouraged to apply.
Please note that the actual level and salary will be based on qualifications of the selected candidate.