With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 700 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace where innovation and results are a way of life.
EDF envisions a world in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected to the environmental challenges we face and are engaged in creating durable, equitable solutions. We seek talented candidates who share our Core Values of Respect, Results, Innovation, Optimism, and Integrity, and support our Commitment to Diversity.
LOCATION: any U.S. EDF office
The Senior Research Analyst will provide critical research and analysis in support of EDF efforts to inform the design and implementation of robust, ambitious market-based climate policies and financing strategies to rapidly scale up implementation of natural climate solutions in key jurisdictions around the world, including through large-scale programs to reduce emissions from tropical deforestation in Brazil and other countries. They will conduct rigorous economic and policy analysis, author reports, and manage and lead projects and workflows to help shape and support EDF’s positions and advocacy and inform decision-making by government policymakers, private investors, business leaders, Indigenous people organizations, and other stakeholders. This work will support efforts to build consensus among key market actors and scale up well-designed markets for high-quality emission reduction credits from reducing deforestation and other approaches to reduce emissions from the management, use and protection of forests, agricultural soils and oceans.
The Senior Research Analyst will report to the Senior Director, Natural Climate Solutions. They will work with other analysts, natural scientists, and policy specialists throughout EDF as well as within academia and other partner organizations.
- Conduct a range of quantitative analyses and modeling projects to inform the design and implementation of well-structured market- and incentive-based policies and financing strategies to reduce emissions from key countries and sectors through natural climate solutions, including from reducing tropical deforestation in Brazil and other countries.
- Help develop and compile a suite of case studies and impact analyses to build the evidence base for large-scale results-based finance programs to reduce tropical deforestation so as to help build confidence for private and public funders and identify lessons for implementation of other natural climate solutions. Coordinate with partners at other organizations outside EDF (e.g. universities, outside contractors, and research institutes and NGOs in tropical countries) to conduct these analyses.
- Develop and deploy analytical tools designed to educate external stakeholders and inform EDF’s internal thinking on policy design.
- Manage specific projects, analytics and workflows in support of different climate policy and forest related goals, and help to track and manage overall workflows for broader team.
- Review and synthesize academic literature and analysis as well as policy proposals on tropical deforestation and carbon pricing program design.
- Develop timely, comprehensible, politically salient materials for policy makers, media outlets, and other stakeholders (including analyses, fact sheets, answers to specific queries, and other information as needed), in close coordination with relevant EDF staff.
- Present analysis and findings through clear and compelling oral presentations to both internal and external audiences.
- Write and prepare papers, technical reports, policy briefs, and communications materials.
- Respond to “rapid-response” queries relating to carbon pricing, tropical deforestation and other climate policies issues from press/media, government, external partners, and internal sources.
- Participates in advancing EDF diversity, equity and inclusion goals in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected, included, and empowered to address the environmental and organizational challenges in alignment with EDF values.
- Represent EDF in external settings (e.g., meetings with policy makers, Congressional staff, other environmental organizations, research institutions, or corporations) and collaborate with key partners.
- Master’s degree in economics, environmental science, or other field with strong quantitative methods.
- At least 2 years of relevant professional experience on applied environmental policy issues.
- Experience managing projects and workflows.
- Ability to relate economic or technical research to real-world policy and leverage it towards supporting advocacy goals;
- Excellent quantitative skills; ability to design and conduct quantitative analysis using various data analysis tools. Excellent data management and econometric/statistical analysis skills (e.g., using R, Python) and knowledge of GIS are a plus.
- Excellent organizational skills and meticulous attention to detail; ability to handle multiple tasks, meet deadlines, and prioritize assignments.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; must be able to adapt technical documents and concepts into ideas that are easily understood by the general public.
- Familiarity with environmental science and public policy, particularly climate change policy and the management of forests and other natural resources.
- Proven ability to work both independently and as a member of a multidisciplinary team.
- Demonstrates self-awareness, cultural competency and inclusivity, and ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders across diverse cultures and backgrounds.
- Willingness to travel when necessary.
- Foreign language skills are a plus.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant’s qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.