With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 700 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace where innovation and results are a way of life.
EDF envisions a world in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected to the environmental challenges we face and are engaged in creating durable, equitable solutions. We seek talented candidates who share our Core Values of Respect, Results, Innovation, Optimism, and Integrity, and support our Commitment to Diversity.
Senior Research Analyst, Canadian Methane Emissions
Location: Canada or US
EDF has set an ambitious goal to achieve a 45% cut in global methane pollution from the Oil and Gas supply chain by 2025 in an effort to reduce the rate of warming we will experience over the next 20 years, equivalent to closing one third of the world’s coal fired power plants. In line with this, Canada-a major oil and gas producer- has published ambitious methane emission regulations at the federal and provincial level.
EDF will coordinate a multi-scale measurement campaign to characterize onshore methane emissions across provinces, providing policy-relevant data that allows stakeholders to asses if the Canadian regulations are having impact on overall emission reductions and identifying additional mitigation opportunities.
This is a full-time, 2 year term position
The Senior Research Analyst will be a key team member in the Office of the Chief Scientist, supporting research, analysis and project management on a multi scale scientific project focused on characterizing Canadian methane emissions from onshore production. The Senior Research Analyst will perform literature reviews, analyze and synthesize data and utilize project management skills to ensure the project team meets milestones and deliverables. The Senior Research Analyst will report to a Senior Scientist in the Office of the Chief Scientist and will work in close collaboration with EDF’s Energy Program.
- Analyze data to support characterization of methane emissions from Canadian oil and gas infrastructure;
- Oversee day to day management activities of multi-scale, multi-year research project involving other research institutions; monitor progress, regularly update stakeholders, and implement processes to ensure deliverables and timelines are met.
- Perform literature reviews and find, analyze and synthesize scientific information on topics largely related to methane emissions to inform the design and development of EDF projects related to climate and energy in Canada;
- Fact-check and help develop reports, fact sheets, blog posts, website content and other materials for general and specific audiences on a variety of topics;
- Work with a team of staff scientists to summarize and visualize research and project results for staff, partners, donors and peer-reviewed scientific journals;
- Apply excellent organizational, communication and planning skills in preparing correspondence and reports, responding to requests for information and helping to coordinate activities among staff members;
- Represent EDF at external events with a high degree of professionalism;
- Participates in advancing EDF DEI goals in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected, included, and empowered to address the environmental and organizational challenges in alignment with EDF values
- Assist in preparing notes from important internal and external meetings;
- Additional relevant responsibilities as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree and at least four years of experience or Master’s degree in an environmentally relevant science field and at least two years related work experience in environmental science, oil & gas industry, policy analysis, environmental advocacy or related fields;
- Experience in project management and exceptional personal organization, attention to detail, and ability to multitask;
- Strong quantitative skills and experience in performing rigorous analyses;
- Experience with GIS software and statistical tools;
- Experience with data visualization;
- Demonstrated skill in synthesizing primary research;
- Ability to summarize and translate scientific information appropriately for a variety of audiences, from senior scientists to the lay public;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English;
- Ability to work independently and support a multi-disciplinary team, using independent judgment to plan, prioritize and organize a diverse workload in a fast-paced environment;
- Demonstrates self-awareness, cultural competency and inclusivity, and ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders across diverse cultures and backgrounds;
- Willingness to travel.
- Knowledge about environmental issues associated with the oil and gas industry, especially air emissions
This position may be located at any EDF office in the US, remote or Canada remote.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant’s qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.