Established in 1964, the African Development Bank (AfDB) is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 81 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth. In order to sharply focus the objectives of the Ten Year Strategy (2013 – 2022) and ensure greater developmental impact, five major areas (High 5s), all of which will accelerate our delivery for Africa, have been identified for scaling up, namely; energy, agro-business, industrialization, integration and improving the quality of life for the people of Africa. The Bank is seeking to build a management team that will lead the successful implementation of this vision.
The President, plans, supervises and manages the business of the Bank Group. Under the direction of the Boards of Directors, the President conducts the business of the Bank and the African Development Fund and manages operations and activities in accordance with the Agreements establishing the ADB and the ADF. The President supervises several Departments and Units including Office of the President (PRST0); Independent Development Evaluation Department (BDEV); Integrity and Anti-Corruption Department (PIAC); Compliance Review and Mediation Unit (BCRM); Secretariat to the Sanctions Appeals Board (BSAB); Administrative Tribunal (BATR); Office of the Auditor General (PAGL); Group Risk Management Directorate (PGRF); General Counsel and Legal Services Department (PGCL); Communication and External Relations Department (PCER); Staff Integrity and Ethics Office (PETH) and Office of the Secretary General & General Secretariat(PSEG).
THE HIRING DEPARTMENT:
The African Development Bank’s Security Unit (PSEC) is a robust security function reporting to the President of the Bank. Deep global analytical capabilities combined with Africa wide security processes are in place in order to provide the full spectrum of security services to the Bank. PSEC detects, deters and reacts to a broad range of risks spanning the security spectrum; physical; political, information and reputational risks around the globe are monitored closely to address the changing security dynamic. Our security requirements include risk analysis, training, coordination with outside actors and implementation of security programs at the strategic, operational and tactical levels.
PSEC is staffed by security risk specialists operating both at Headquarters and across Africa who can provide innovative solutions to security risks across the continent. PSEC is an action-oriented function that moves quickly and efficiently in order to address emerging security risks.
The Senior Regional Security & Safety Officer objective is to be responsible for the provision of expertise and specialist support on all aspects of security and safety in the region based on International Standards and Bank Guidelines.
Duties and responsibilities
The key duties and responsibilities of Senior Regional Security & Safety Officer are to:
- Contribute to security advice drafted for the Director General and all leadership personnel in assigned Country Offices
- Participate in the creation of corporate policies, strategies, standards and guidelines for Security and Safety
- Participate in the implementation of corporate policies, strategies, standards and guidelines for Security and Safety are implemented
- Monitor the effectiveness of policies, standards and processes and take necessary action when required
Operation & Networking
- Threat Monitoring: Monitor and assess threats and ensure proactive measures are taken to mitigate potential risk to the AfDB operations
- Security Assessment and Review: Implement and manage a security risk and vulnerability assessment and review program to ensure the timely identification and management of threats including mitigation and prevention measures.
- Relationships: Maintain close liaison with Diplomatic Mission (e.g. UN, INGOs), International Organisations security officers, coordination and Networking with security officers / security focal points of all relevant actors in the region.
- Provide forward-looking advice and expertise on all security technology including access control, CCTV, Intrusion and security alarms.
- Emergency Plans: Contribute to the development and maintenance of emergency action plans to prepare for and respond to incidents including Active Shooter, civil unrest, terrorism and country evacuation.
- Regulatory compliance: Ensure that corporate operations meets and demonstrates compliance with all local security, safety and business continuity regulatory requirements.
Supply Partner Management:
- Liaise with suppliers to help ensure the timely delivery of goods and services
- Liaise with suppliers and the Bank’s procurement departments to ensure compliance with procurement practices and timely payment to suppliers.
- Contribute to the efficient use of budgets and ensure projects are delivered on time and within budget to agreed standards.
- Actively identify opportunities for cost savings through simplification or cross-party collaboration
- Holds at least a Master’s degree in Security Management or Business Administration, Political/Social Science or International Relations or in a related field, with focus on Security Management. Professional Security Certification by an internationally recognized security institution is desirable
- Have a minimum of five (05) years of progressive experience in the military, police, intelligence services coordinating security operations or in security administration within a security organization is required; and experience and exposure at the international level is required.
- Strong assessment, evaluation, analysis and strategic planning skills.
- Strong analytical and organizational skills with the ability to manage multiple complex tasks independently
- Strong knowledge in project management
- Ability to work independently with little supervision as well as part of a multicultural team
- Ability to be flexible, open minded with integrity
- High level of experience in developing security related technical tools guidelines and systems.
- Ability to teach basic personal safety and security landmine safety and awareness.
- Basic knowledge of contract employment, experience and skills in recruitment and selection.
- Excellent presentation and training delivery skills
- Innovation and Creativity – The commitment to search for and produce innovative and creative approaches to activities in order to enhance performance and create added benefits to the Bank and its clients.
- Communication – Provides clear and concise oral and written communication; presents oral information with clarity and appropriate style and adapts language and style to suit the requirements of a particular audience.
- Problem Solving – Applies business knowledge to the resolution of problems and identifies solutions to the benefit of the client (internal and external) and the organization.
- Client Orientation – Ensures that the client is of primary importance in all transactions and interactions. Strives to understand, and when appropriate, anticipate client needs, and ensures that the client receives the best possible service from the Bank.
- Team Working and Relationships – Works with others to maximize the effectiveness of the team as a whole, sharing the knowledge and workload. Develops strong working relationships with colleagues and contributes to creation of a positive team environment
- Operational Effectiveness – The Commitment to ensure that full use is made
- Accountable. sets achievable goals and enforces realistic standards while holding people accountable and setting the example by being held personally accountable at the same or a greater level than subordinates.
- Candor. not afraid to tell the truth especially up the chain or when it might make you unpopular. Honest in word and deed in order to build confidence and trust with subordinates.
- Courageous. fair minded and resists the temptation to “manage upwards” in order to look out for the best interests of the working masses. Resists pressures and has the will power to stand up for subordinates when required.
- Loyal. both to subordinates and superiors. Enjoys engaging with subordinates, then promotes growth and upward movement of team members. Takes the blame when things go wrong and initiates corrective actions without blaming others for team failures. Empowers people with loyalty and transparency.
- Calm. Should be the rock under pressure. Does not panic or hide during a crisis but stands up and takes a leadership role by managing both people and processes no matter how difficult the situation.
- Judgement. Does not apply personal or country of origin specific policies in decision making but demonstrates a strong emotional intelligence that leads to a level of integrity with the best interest of the Bank and the people implicated in decisions. A good leader must have mental agility and should be forward looking in decision making, with an understanding of history in order to make sound decisions.
- Self-Confident. Has an authoritative leadership “presence” that exudes confidence and competence without the “big man” implications. Demonstrates full confidence in his or her own leadership skills and shows a never-ending enthusiasm even for tasks that may not be cool or sexy but will inspire subordinates to achieve results.
- Ability to communicate effectively (written and oral) in English or French preferably with a working knowledge of the other.
- Competence with standard MS Office packages, preferable experience of Microsoft project. Proficient in use other relevant software including Google maps. Database management is desirable.
THIS POSITION IS CLASSIFIED AS INTERNATIONAL RECRUITMENT AND ATTRACTS INTERNATIONAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT.
Should you encounter technical difficulties in submitting your application, please send an email with a precise description of the issue and/or a screenshot showing the problem to: HR Direct HRDirect@AFDB.ORG
To apply for this position, you need to be national of one of AfDB member countries.
The African Development Bank Group (AfDB) does not ask for payments of any kind from applicants throughout the recruitment process (job application, CV review, interview meeting, and final processing of applications). In addition, the Bank does not request information on applicants’ bank accounts. The African Development Bank Group declines all responsibility for the fraudulent publications of job offers in its name or, in general, for the fraudulent use of its name in any way whatsoever.