Close relatives1 of ADB staff, except spouses of international staff, are not eligible for recruitment and appointment to staff positions. Applicants are expected to disclose if they have any relative/s by consanguinity/blood, by adoption and/or by affinity/marriage presently employed in ADB.
1Close relatives refer to spouse, children, mother, father, brother and sister, niece, nephew, aunt and uncle
Staff on probation are not eligible to apply. Applicants for promotion must have served at their position for at least one year and must have normally served at their personal level for at least two years immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date. Applicants for lateral transfer must have served at their position and personal level for at least one year immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date (reference A.O. 2.03, paragraphs 5.8 and 5.9).
In the event that the staff appointed to a new category (i.e. from AS to NS, or from NS to IS) is rated at 2 or lower in the first two performance reviews after appointment at the new level, they will return to the level occupied immediately prior to their appointment in the new category.
Asian Development Bank (ADB) is an international development finance institution headquartered in Manila, Philippines and is composed of 68 members, 49 of which are from the Asia and Pacific region. ADB is committed to achieving a prosperous, inclusive, resilient, and sustainable Asia and the Pacific, while sustaining its efforts to eradicate extreme poverty. ADB combines finance, knowledge, and partnerships to fulfill its expanded vision under its Strategy 2030.
ADB only hires nationals of its 68 members.
To view ADB Organizational Chart, please click here.
The Senior Public Management Officer (Disaster Risk Management) is responsible for carrying out disaster risk management (DRM) research and analysis, design and implementation of technical assistance (TA) activities, inputs to the monitoring and revision of business processes, and compilation of thematic information in support of ADB’s Disaster and Emergency Assistance Policy (DEAP) and the implementation of Strategy 2030’s Operational Priority 3. In addition, the position will also be responsible for the implementation, maintenance and review of DRM trust funds; processing and administration of TA projects; and assistance in maintaining partnerships and ADB’s participation in external networks. The incumbent will report to designated International Staff and may supervise Administrative Staff.
- Coordinates with the relevant Sector and Thematic Groups to promote cross-sector/thematic teamwork and coordination. Identifies areas for cooperation and maintains close coordination and collaboration in relevant themes and sectors.
- Supports the Climate Change and Disaster Risk Management Thematic Group and prepares presentations, briefing notes, and work plans for disaster risk management.
- Provides strategic inputs to the design, implementation, monitoring, and updating of DRM policy, products, financing mechanisms, funds, and tools, and other activities and materials that provide direction in furthering ADB’s DRM work.
- Contributes independently in undertaking disaster risk management research (including policy and sector issues, best practices), data collection, and analyses to support policy, strategy and thematic work program.
- Provides guidance to Regional Departments, Offices, and Resident Missions in the understanding and interpretation of the DEAP, DRM project preparation and implementation, mainstreaming of disaster risk concerns into other projects, and other activities in support of the implementation of the DEAP and DRM aspects of Strategy 2030 Operational Priority 3.
- Leads the development and implementation of DRM TA projects, and provides inputs to and review of relevant sections of other TA projects.
- Processes and implements TA projects through active involvement processing and implementation activities, including consultant administration and monitoring.
- Contributes to the preparation of Board information papers, briefing notes, reports, internal and external communications.
- Supports the development of DRM knowledge products, such as lessons learnt, guidelines, and checklists, and disseminates these through internal and external networks.
- Leads the preparation of DRM e-Newsletter and assists in the development and maintenance of DRM website and related databases
- Supports development and conduct of training programs such as annual DRM staff capacity development workshops
- Performs any other duties as may be that may be assigned as reflected in the incumbent’s workplan.
Relevant Experience & Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree and preferably a Master’s degree in disaster risk management, science, business administration, public administration, public finance, or other relevant subjects, preferably with advanced training.
- At least 10 years relevant experience and work relating to DRM.
- Knowledge and understanding of ADB’s operational processes and procedures, in particular pertaining to DRM, and interaction between different ADB work areas and relevant workflows.
- Capacity to lead TA projects, including in engaging with executing and implementing agencies and consultants.
- Ability to represent ADB at external meetings
- Ability to undertake background research and analysis on difficult but well-defined tasks, collect and organize required data and information, apply appropriate computer skills in analyzing and developing the data, and prepare notes, papers and reports or sections thereof.
- Strong interpersonal skills and client orientation
- Ability to develop rapport internally and externally in a multicultural environment
- Able to work collaboratively with teams as a constructive team member
- Proven excellence in writing skills and strong oral communication skills
- Strong planning and organizational skills with the ability to set priorities among multiple assigned tasks
- Please refer to the link for ADB Competency Framework for National Staff Level 4.
The selected candidate, if new to ADB, is appointed for an initial term of 3 years.
ADB offers competitive remuneration and a comprehensive benefits package. Actual appointment salary will be based on ADB’s standards and computation, taking into account the selected individual’s qualifications and experience.
ADB seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities to work in an inclusive environment. ADB encourages all qualified candidates to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. Women are highly encouraged to apply.
Please note that the actual level and salary will be based on qualifications of the selected candidate.