QED is a global consulting firm with more than 20 years of experience providing data-driven and insightful solutions in close to 100 countries. We are passionate about transforming lives through knowledge-based solutions. Leveraging deep expertise in monitoring, evaluation, global health, and learning, we help our clients collect, analyze, visualize, and ultimately use data in more effective ways. Our work maximizes results through the use of cutting-edge technologies and innovation, organizational development, and evidence-based decision-making.
The purpose of the USAID Learning Activity (ULA) is to further strengthen USAID/Uganda performance and improve the performance of its implementing partners, with a focus on collaborating, learning and adapting (CLA), in order to enhance the impact and sustainability of USAID-supported contributions to Uganda’s development. The ULA will achieve this through three objectives:
- Collaboration: Strengthened collaboration, both internally and with external stakeholders, enables USAID to better leverage expertise, learning and resources; and deepens local ownership.
- Learning: Systematic learning, through applied research, monitoring and evaluation, informs and improves the relevance, quality and cost- effectiveness of programs and operations
- Performing: Adaptive management of program implementation and meta-level interventions to improve the quality of USAID program outcomes.
The Senior Project Support Manager will be responsible for overall USAID Learning Activity support to all five USAID/Uganda projects: resilience; demographics; market systems; health systems; and governance systems projects. S/he must support five USAID project managers/coordinators to facilitate cohesive project management through the use of collaboration, learning, and adaptation. S/he will supervise, mentor, coach, and train five project support specialists. S/he will lead relationship building and engagement with the ULA project support specialists and their respective projects and technical offices across the mission. S/he will support USAID directly by engaging or providing mentoring, coaching, and training services to USAID project managers. S/he will connect learning to adaptive management at the USAID project and strategy level.
The Senior Project Support Manager will funnel project pain points, as needed, directly to the ULA Chief of Party so that they can be communicated to the ULA Contracting Officer’s Representative and the USAID/Uganda Office of Policy and Program Development (PPD). S/he will coordinate and promote ULA project support specialists’ input and engagement with other various ULA activities, including evaluations, assessments, and analyses, CLA, performing, and communications. S/he will provide overall project support and advisory services which enable USAID project management teams (PMTs) to manage projects effectively and cohesively, catalyzing continuous improvement, and galvanizing demonstrated project impact.
The Senior Project Support Manager will manage a team of five (5) project support specialists who provide administrative support to USAID/Uganda and who train, coach, and mentor USAID/Uganda staff. S/he will be based in Uganda and work to support the USAID/Uganda mission and the five Social Science Advisors throughout the duration of the contract. The Senior Project Support Manager will work closely with USAID/Uganda project leadership.
Specifically, s/he will:
Internal supervision, mentoring, coaching, training
- S/he will directly supervise, mentor, coach, and train a collaborative team of five project support specialists on the ULA Contract.
- S/he will be responsible for ensuring that ULA project support specialists support their respective USAID PMTs to track project progress toward their respective project purposes. S/he will ensure that project support specialists track all five project theories of change over the life of each project, monitor assumptions, and advise their respective PMTs on opportunities and challenges related to USAID’s achievement of key project outcomes. S/he will coordinate project support specialists to produce project progress reports for USAID.
Relationship building, engagement
- As team leader for the ULA project management support function the Senior Project Support Manager will support project support specialists to develop strong relationships with their project teams and USAID personnel across through mission.
USAID project management mentoring, coaching, training
- S/he will consult with USAID project managers to identify, plan, and execute project management and project monitoring, evaluation, and learning (MEL) coaching and training activities, supported by ULA and external technical experts.
- S/he will coach USAID project managers to identify opportunities to catalyze change within USAID projects, applying learning to management decisions.
- S/he will support project managers within the mission understand and capitalize on the plethora of MEL and CLA support services available through ULA.
Connecting learning to adaptive management at project and strategy level
- S/he must support USAID project informed decision making with appropriate knowledge collection and dissemination within and between projects. S/he will coordinate project support specialists and project management teams to share learning across projects and connect ULA evaluation, assessments, and analyses to project decision making.
- S/he will lead project support specialists to facilitate internal and external collaboration within and between USAID projects, as well as with external project partners and stakeholders.
- S/he will coordinate within the ULA and with various USAID technical teams to connect implementing partner CLA activities to project management and project learning agenda.
- S/he will coordinate within ULA, with PPD, and with the USAID/Uganda MEL group to monitor progress against project MEL plans and ensure projects are implementing the mission strategy and providing necessary monitoring, evaluation, and learning for the mission Performance Management Plan.
- Bachelor’s or Advanced degree in International Development, Project Management, Business Management or another relevant field.
- Understanding of USAID and development programming.
- At least four years experience in development management, field experience in sub-Saharan Africa a plus.
- Demonstrated experience supervising, coaching and/or mentoring staff.
- Previous experience with USAID-funded projects is highly preferred.
- Demonstrated strong leadership qualities.
- Excellent relationship skills.
- Familiarity with USAID compliance rules and regulations.
- Excellent analytical, written and oral communication skills. English is required.
To apply for this position please follow the following steps:
- Complete the online application.
- Attach your resume/CV.
- Click on this link to complete a USAID Biodata/1420 form, fill out the form, sign it, and attach/upload it to your application (leave the info in pink blank).
- You may also include other documents such as cover letter and/or a work sample.
- Submit your application, resume/CV, completed biodata, and any additional documents.
Please note that applications submitted by other means; or without either a resume/CV and/or biodata may not be considered. Only finalists will be contacted; no phone calls please.
The QED Group, LLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, Minorities, Veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. AA/V/D. Reasonable accommodation requests will be considered on a case-by-case basis.