QED is a global consulting firm with more than 20 years of experience providing data-driven and insightful solutions in close to 100 countries. We are passionate about transforming lives through knowledge-based solutions. Leveraging deep expertise in monitoring, evaluation, global health, and learning, we help our clients collect, analyze, visualize, and ultimately use data in more effective ways. Our work maximizes results through the use of cutting-edge technologies and innovation, organizational development, and evidence-based decision-making.
The Senior Project Manager (SPM) is responsible for overseeing QED’s Project Management (PM) Team and ensuring the timely and effective management and administration of all QED projects, including contractual, financial, and operational activities. S/he ensures that QED projects follow all applicable QED and client requirements, and continuously focuses on opportunities to improve internal operations and implement best practices. The SPM is responsible for assisting in risk management and suggesting solutions to minimize risk while ensuring effective implementation and compliance across QED programs. The Senior Project Manager is responsible for directly managing a portfolio of projects, carrying out core managerial and coordination functions, and participating in technical work as appropriate. With oversight from Directors, Senior Directors, and Vice Presidents, the SPM is responsible for leading effective and efficient project operations and implementation, looking after project staff, managing project financial targets, and ensuring staffing vacancies are minimized. The SPM will report to the Senior Director of Programs and have direct supervision over assigned project management staff of various levels. The SPM is responsible for delegating to and overseeing the work of junior staff on individual contracts, and coordinating with consultants, subcontractors, and clients. S/he will work closely with other teams across QED, including Finance & Accounting, Contracts & Compliance, Talent Acquisition, Human Resources, Communications, Business Development, and Information Technology.
Project Management Team Leadership
- Directs and supervises the work of the PM Team across the company, including work assignments, and workload balancing
- Creates and maintains a high-performing, engaged, and results-focused PM Team by overseeing the Team’s daily professional development through coaching, mentoring, and performance management; collaborates with relevant internal operational teams to oversee formal training and professional development for PM and project office staff
- Proposes and implements process improvements to improve project management team effectiveness and efficiency
- Creates cohesion amongst PM Team members across corporate and project offices
- Shares and implements best practices in Project Management
- Supervises Project Managers, Coordinators, and Assistants in the Project Management Unit (PMU) for projects under his/her supervision
Project Management Implementation
- Serves as the primary QED corporate liaison with relevant client points of contact; prime contractors and subcontractors; resolves corporate level issues that arise with clients, prime contractors, and sub-contractors
- Ensures financial and technical integrity of projects under supervision – including quality assurance and quality control processes are in place and adhered to, contract deliverables are met, and project is proactively managed towards strong CPARS (4 or greater)
- Ensures that all applicable QED and client rules, regulations, policies, and procedures are consistently applied and followed
- Ensures the financial and reputational integrity of projects under his/her supervision
- Resolves complex implementation issues
- Develops activity budgets and oversees financial management of project budgets; including creating budget forecasting and projections, tracking invoices and project finances, ensures that field cash balances are sufficient for project operations, and minimizes unnecessary balances
- Ensures project issues and risks are logged, monitored, reported on, managed and mitigated, and escalated to corporate/project leadership, as required
- Approves financial transactions as needed and within individual signature authority
- Coordinates, oversees, and reviews team inputs for contract deliverables – ensures contract deliverables are on schedule and meet QED’s standards
- Mobilizes and demobilizes international staff with support from HR
- Monitors and ensures the quality of field procurements, ensuring compliance with QED and client requirements
- Maintains compliance and asset management procedures
- Ensures the adequacy of records retention practices in compliance with QED and client requirements
- Reviews monthly project expenditures and sends invoices to clients
- Ensures compliance in field projects with host country laws, including labor policies, tax reporting and regulations
- Participates in monthly project reviews; reviews and monitors monthly and annual projections, burn rates against ceiling, revenue, utilization rates, and gross margin monthly; takes proactive steps to drive revenue for prime contracts and ensure QED percentage on subcontracts
- In collaboration with Project Leads, supports projects to generate appropriate thought leadership and communications pieces, highlight pain points for innovation or opportunities for piloting innovation activities
- Supervises project team members as appropriate and required – ensures individual performance of project staff is on track, encourages career development and growth, strives to retain qualified staff, ensures staff are happy, engaged, and well supported.
- Assists with recruitment of personnel and in-country partners
- Provides front-line contractual and financial management support to the PM Team, field programs, subcontractors, partners, and clients, and engages with internal Contracts and Finance Teams when additional support is necessary
- Liaises closely with technical staff to integrate project management and technical oversight in support of effective program delivery
- Leads the development of manuals, procedures, policies, recordkeeping, and duties related to overall administration of projects, including procurement, financial management, technical deliverables, and other aspects of project management
- Works with QED directors to find process improvements and codify them
- Supports the implementation of QED’s Corporate Strategy as needed
- Liaises with internal Contract Team to draft RFPs, RFIs, Job Postings, and contracts for consultants, subcontractors, and service providers
- Serves as a reference point for contracting questions
- Leads the internal approval process for contracts for services and procurement for the assigned project
- Reviews basic legal issues for employment and procurement
- Ensures administrative and financial compliance with USG regulations, including regular review of the USAID ADS, FAR, AIDAR to ensure compliance
- Acts as point of contact for project related audits
- Reviews and oversees financial and administrative reports and other correspondence on activities and transactions related to projects in his/her portfolio
- Supports the preparation and presentation of comprehensive administrative, fiscal, statistical and technical studies, reports, specifications, and correspondence as required
Minimum Education, Experience, Skills & Qualifications
- Master’s Degree in international development or relevant field required
- Minimum of 6-8 years managing the administration of USAID and other donor-funded projects with a Masters; minimum of 10 years with Bachelors. Minimum of 4 years project management experience
- Significant demonstrable experience in acquisition mechanisms, USAID ADS, FAR, AIDAR, and other USG international regulations
- Knowledge of project management procedures for planning and processing international development projects, and for establishing plans, specifications, monitoring and management of the development projects
- Detail-oriented, experience developing/managing program budgets
- Required interest in and understanding of MEL, qualitative and quantitative research methods, or organizational learning
- Willingness to travel to post-conflict environments
- Fluency in English required
PREFERRED EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
- Prior experience on a long-term overseas field assignment
- Experience with business development roles and processes, particularly for USAID
- Master’s degree in International Development/Relations, Public Administration, Business, or a related field
- Foreign language skills, preferably in French, Spanish, Arabic, Hindi, or Russian
- Experience managing programs for CDC, Department of Defense, Department of State, and/or other similar organizations
To apply for this position please follow the following steps:
- Complete the online application.
- Attach your resume/CV.
- Click on this link to complete a USAID Biodata/1420 form, fill out the form, sign it, and attach/upload it to your application.
- You may also include other documents such as cover letter and/or a work sample.
- Submit your application, resume/CV, completed biodata, and any additional documents.
Please note that applications submitted by other means; or without either a resume/CV and/or biodata may not be considered. Only finalists will be contacted; no phone calls please.
A submitted application to QED in response to a position on a bid or proposal, indicates your agreement to be included in our submission to the client at least on an illustrative named basis.
The QED Group, LLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, Minorities, Veterans, and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply. AA/V/D. Reasonable accommodation requests will be considered on a case-by-case basis.