Close relatives1 of ADB staff, except spouses of international staff, are not eligible for recruitment and appointment to staff positions. Applicants are expected to disclose if they have any relative/s by consanguinity/blood, by adoption and/or by affinity/marriage presently employed in ADB.
1Close relatives refer to spouse, children, mother, father, brother and sister, niece, nephew, aunt and uncle.
Asian Development Bank (ADB) is an international development finance institution headquartered in Manila, Philippines and is composed of 68 members, 49 of which are from the Asia and Pacific region. ADB is committed to achieving a prosperous, inclusive, resilient, and sustainable Asia and the Pacific, while sustaining its efforts to eradicate extreme poverty. ADB combines finance, knowledge, and partnerships to fulfill its expanded vision under its Strategy 2030.
ADB only hires nationals of its 68 members.
The position is assigned in the Portfolio, Results and Quality Control Unit (PAOD-PRQ) under the Office of the Director General, within the Pacific Department (PARD). PAOD-PRQ is responsible for portfolio management and overall support for administration of loan and technical assistance (TA) projects in Pacific developing member countries.
To view ADB Organizational Chart, please click here.
The Senior Project Management Specialist supports the management of overall project administration in PARD; lead the identification of implementation problems and execution of corrective actions to address these and improve projects performance, interacting closely with project implementation teams. Provide assistance and technical guidance to (i) oversee the implementation performance of loans, grants, and technical assistance (TA), and (ii) support improvement of procurement procedures, consistent with effective project management. Review specific project management practices and implementation of contracts including field level reviews. Lead cross learning between sectors/projects, and coordinate PARD’s knowledge initiatives to promote greater operational efficiency and project management. The incumbent reports to Advisor and Head, PAOD-PRQ and may supervise national staff and administrative staff.
- Support sector divisions and resident missions/field offices on developing a strong pipeline of programs, project development towards meeting strategy 2030 targets, and innovative approaches in the project management to ensure development impacts on ground.
- Lead in the identification of high-profile flagship projects and programs. Build partnerships between ADB and other key stakeholders in Pacific region, including development partners.
- Review and monitor status of project processing milestones focusing of advance actions to achieve total project readiness. Provide advice and peer reviews on project implementation arrangements, contract packaging during project processing.
- Oversee coordination of the development, processing and administration of selected loan/grant and TA projects.
- Advise on contract administration and management matters – trouble shooting and solutions to Implementation and procurement/contractual issues; potential/actual problem projects, and recommend actions to resolve bottlenecks and addressing risks
- Undertake processing and implementation of TAs related to capacity development for project management, contract management and related areas.
- Work with project teams to identify implementation problems and formulate corrective actions to improve the performance of projects and technical assistance.
- Coordinate with project processing and project implementation teams for consistency of approach, exchange of experiences, and continuous improvement of practices and integration of the various sector policy commitments to the management of projects.
- Ensure quality and compliance of lending and non-lending products and operations in the Pacific department.
- Contribute knowledge and expertise to other divisions and support multidisciplinary teams and ensure the overall quality of its work.
- Lead quality control and assurance, in compliance to ADB policies, guidelines and PAIs; Quality control – documentary, field review, and best practices; review and support on processing matters such as advisory support on processing milestones, advance actions/Readiness, peer reviews on implementation, TA Administration.
- Review and provide advice on project/contract administration matters such as complex contract variations, change in procurement methods and thresholds, contract disputes, and contract terminations.
- Carry out assessments and recommend actions to resolve bottlenecks and address governance and other risks in project management and contract administration at the country, sector, agency, project and contract levels.
- Propose improvements including policy and regulatory recommendations, institutional and capacity development measures, modifications to contract provisions, and tools/mechanisms for effective project management, contract administration, and implementation of quality assurance.
- Oversee adherence of contracts to the ADB Guidelines and Project Administration Instructions. Provide guidance and technical support on contract administration matters.
- Support Country Portfolio Review Missions in the areas of project implementation arrangements, project management and contract administration.
- Support departmental review meetings with HQ and RM staff in the areas of project implementation arrangements, project management and contract administration.
- Assist in the coordination with other development agencies for harmonization of policies relating to project management and contract administration.
- Oversee and ensure high quality of inputs and data in MIS for project management, portfolio performance, procurement and disbursement, and related areas.
- Provide advice on ADB policies, guidelines, practices on project administration with internal and external stakeholders, and maintain and disseminate the department’s collective experience and knowledge gained through project management.
- Manage the performance of teams and individuals providing clear direction and regular monitoring and feedback on performance. Provide coaching and mentoring to team and individuals and ensure their on-going learning and development. Mentor other staff in project design, preparation and implementation.
Relevant Experience & Requirements
- Master’s Degree, or equivalent in the Engineering, or business administration. A university degree in engineering, or equivalent, with specialized experience of similar organization/s, may be considered in lieu of a Master’s degree.
- Minimum of 10 years of relevant professional experience, including international work experience, with exposure in the project cycle (i.e. project development, project processing to project administration/implementation, and evaluation).
- For internal applicants – Procurement Accreditation Skills Scheme accreditation preferred
- Demonstrated ability to act as a team leader, exercising supervision, coordination, and planning responsibilities with oversight from the Director or a more senior team leader.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English is required
- Ability to communicate effectively with key clients in the developing member countries.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills and ability to work with individuals from different cultural/national backgrounds.
- Please refer to the link for ADB Competency Framework for IS Levels 5.
The selected candidate, if new to ADB, is appointed for an initial term of 3 years.
ADB offers competitive remuneration and a comprehensive benefits package. Actual appointment salary will be based on ADB’s standards and computation, taking into account the selected individual’s qualifications and experience.
ADB seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities to work in an inclusive environment. ADB encourages all qualified candidates to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. Women are highly encouraged to apply.
Please note that the actual level and salary will be based on qualifications of the selected candidate.