The Senior Program Manager is a key member of the Strategy, Performance, and Learning (SPL) management team, providing supervision and support to an assigned sub-set of SI staff. They perform critical personnel management, business development, and service delivery functions. They support Program Directors by providing direct oversight of select projects and staff and by participating in key decisions affecting the service area team including bid and staffing decisions. The Senior Program Manager has experience managing complex projects, is a skilled team leader, has an established track record in all aspects of people management, and is able to support a variety of organizational management functions such as planning, budgeting, and resource planning. They also support business development and revenue generation functions.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, this is a remote position through September 2021. When SI determines that it is safe for staff to return to the office, the Senior Program Manager will be based in the Washington, DC-area.
The Senior Program Manager plays a key role in division personnel management by overseeing an assigned set of approximately 4-5 service area staff, including Program Managers, Program Associates, and Program Assistants:
- Provides direct supervision of assigned staff.
- Oversees work assignments.
- Assesses workloads, identifies personnel resource needs through forecasting, and makes recommendations to implement resource leveling, bid assignments, or hiring decisions.
- Aligns staff interests and expertise with projects and organizational needs.
- Serves as a coach and mentor to assigned staff, overseeing the professional development of direct reports.
- Carries out ongoing and end-of-year performance appraisals for assigned staff, seeking input from other managers and staff who have worked with the staff member. Recommends staff for promotions based on their performance during the end- of-year appraisal process.
- Participates in the recruitment and hiring of new service area staff.
The Senior Program Manager is expected to be billable to projects in a managerial and/or technical capacity:
- Provides management support on large, complex, and high visibility projects.
- Serves in a technical capacity as a Senior Team Member, Team Leader, or Project Director on evaluations and assessments. Serves as an IQC Manager on umbrella contracts.
- Serves in other Senior Technical MEL positions, such as a facilitator on strategic planning or activity design contracts.
- Provides technical advice and quality assurance services to the team implementing the contract.
- Establishes strong relationships with clients, chiefs of party, and other stakeholders.
Business Development/Revenue Generation
The Senior Program Manager is expected to spend time supporting revenue generation activities. This mainly includes support for proposal development related to new bids. The Senior Program Manager may be called upon to identify new opportunities, write or lead technical sections for proposals, review draft proposals, identify staff to be included in proposals, and work with the Finance Department to develop and review budgets.
Other Management Functions
The Senior Program Manager may also be asked to support other service area management functions from time to time.
- A minimum of a Master’s degree in international development or other related social sciences.
- A minimum of 7 years of total work experience, with demonstrated experience in developing activity monitoring and evaluation plans, results frameworks and log frames, performance management plans, designing and implementing data collection tools, conducting data analysis, training/conference facilitation, and writing evaluation, assessment, or research reports.
- Strong leadership, interpersonal, entrepreneurial, management, and writing skills.
- Demonstrated experience managing personnel, providing mentorship, and conducting resource planning.
- Demonstrated experience training others in Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E).
- Experience working with USAID, managing large or complex contracts with positive results.
- Willingness to travel on assignment approximately 20%-25% of the time.
- Demonstrated experience working in and training others in Organizational Development (OD) or Collaborating, Learning and Adapting (CLA) techniques.
- Technical expertise in one or more sectors (e.g., environment, education, economic growth, democracy and governance, health).
- Experience working with donors other than USAID, such as USG agencies, the Millennium Challenge Corporation, or other foundations or civil society organizations.
- Professional proficiency in a foreign language, such as Spanish, French, or Arabic.
Come join our energetic and innovative team! We offer you the opportunity to play a leading role in the growth of our company, work as part of a creative and committed team, and make a difference in the well-being of our world.
To learn more about Social Impact, please visit our website: http://www.socialimpact.com
SI is an EEO/AA/ADA Veterans Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
Only selected candidates will be contacted for an interview. Please, no phone calls